gas clean oil filter put it back in bike on the first oil change ?

4 replies to this topic
  • BlueHondaEater

Posted April 30, 2000 - 05:01 PM

Is it ok to use gasoline to wash the oil filter then put it back in the bike on the first oil change on my 00 WR400F?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 30, 2000 - 05:15 PM

Personally Mr. Eater I would probably change the filter after the first couple oil changes due to the fact that there is a lot of metal shavings trapped in it. I dont think saving $8 is worth taking the chance. I do however wash my oil filter now and re-use it 3-4 times. I just wash it out with hot water (you can usually get away with using the spray hose on the back of your sink if your not married) and then use a blow dryer (same theory applies) to dry it out before re-installing it. Is this an acceptable method to everyone? This is what I have been doing for some time now and it seems to clean it quite well.

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueHondaEater

Posted April 30, 2000 - 06:14 PM

Originally posted by milkman2544:
Personally Mr. Eater I would probably change the filter after the first couple oil changes due to the fact that there is a lot of metal shavings trapped in it. I dont think saving $8 is worth taking the chance. I do however wash my oil filter now and re-use it 3-4 times. I just wash it out with hot water (you can usually get away with using the spray hose on the back of your sink if your not married) and then use a blow dryer (same theory applies) to dry it out before re-installing it. Is this an acceptable method to everyone? This is what I have been doing for some time now and it seems to clean it quite well.

OH Crap! I already did it! Should I get a new filter and put it in ASAP?
My local shop don't know squat or maybe they just screwed up when looking up what they think was right anyway I went to my local shop to get an oil filter for my bike cause I was sure it had the replacable kind of filter and they said that it only had a screen, so I thought I would just clean it and they knew what they were talking about, but no they didn't know what they were talking about and after I got it all apart (right before going riding) I figured out that it was the replaceable kind and it has a screen too.So I cleaned the filter with gas and put it back in and filled her up with oil. Then I checked for oil pressure by loosening that bolt and everything was fine so I went riding. Hopefully I didn't damage anything. Now I'm trying to debate on wether to wait until the next oil change to put a new filter in or put one in ASAP what does everyone think about that any advice would be great thanks!
signed, dummy out in left field (or is that right field?)

• Heywood

Posted May 01, 2000 - 08:55 AM

I have cleaned and reused my filter close to 10 times. I think you should be fine as long as the screen and rubber seals are not damaged.

I use a parts washer (solvent tank) and an old tooth brush to get all of the chuncks out.

The only concern I would have about using gas to clean it would be that it might eat the rubber seals.

If you are not sure, be safe and replace it.

My $0.02

• Bill

Posted May 01, 2000 - 12:11 PM

two more cents:

I pull off the rubber seals from both ends and use pressurized carb cleaner to blow from the inside out. By pulling off both the seals you can blow out the pleats at both ends. Using an air compressor is to much air pressure and could dmaage or enlarge the screen holes.

I have an extra filter I clean at my convenience and when I change my oil it is ready to go and with my White Bros tapered head pipe. I change the filter every time I change the oil, since it's not as much hassle as the stock header.

anyone have change?

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.