Advice - Tools & Backpacks

6 replies to this topic
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 27, 2000 - 01:32 PM

Curious as to what others might be carrying in their fanny pack to remove the front (22mm) & rear (27mm) wheels on the trail.

Also interested in any recommendations for a decent size top loading backpack that will fit over a chest protector. Some of our Mexico rides are overnight. I'm 6'4", 250lbs - so it's an even more difficult problem statement than just the chest protector.

TIA,
Brian

• Dougie

Posted April 27, 2000 - 04:10 PM

That's a good question. I carry a lot of crap on the trails but I don't have anything for the wheel nuts. I tried to carry a 27mm open ended wrench in my camelback once but it didn't feel all the good on my back.

I had to fix a flat on my front tire once and I used a pair of robo-pliers to get the nut off. Don't think it would work on the rear though.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

• Paul_Mooney

Posted April 27, 2000 - 04:22 PM

I have an add here from Thumper Racing. They are 2 wrenches. #1 is box end to fit front axle and tire iron other end. #2 is box end to fit rear axle nut and tire iron other end. So--you got your tire irons and wheel wrenches in 2 easy tools. I don't have them, but am thinkin of gettin them.

Paul
99WR400

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 27, 2000 - 04:35 PM

MSR has this new backpack called the Colorado Single Trac Pack (i think thats the name) Its featured in this months Dirt Rider Magazine. It looks really nice and Im considering getting one for my trip to Colorado this year. Does anyone else have any info on this product?

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

• Mike_S

Posted April 27, 2000 - 06:53 PM

The wrench is called Riders's Wrench by Fredette 27-22mm i think it was for a cr, i got mine from the dealer(parts unlimited) and Chaparral cat. page 72. It also fits the counter spocket. Brian are you going to ride the dual dogs ride in Lebec on 5-6-00.

• Damian

Posted April 27, 2000 - 11:37 PM

I use E R (Emig Racing) alloy 22x27mm. Also a steel flat spanner from earlier model Yamaha's is available. Not sure if it was a dirt or road bike though- but its still 22x27

• JamesD

Posted April 28, 2000 - 09:50 PM

I think my tool belt is an MSR Lightning.
I use deep sockets for all the sizes I need, a jointed handle (no ratchet), an extension, and a few other odds and ends. I haven't worried about wheel/tire operations yet. If I start carrying spare tubes the tire stuff will probably be carried on the bike with the tubes.
I also carry a spare sparkplug in an Acerbis sparkplug case.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.