Question about oil when breaking in

3 replies to this topic
  • CO_Rider

Posted July 10, 2007 - 08:18 PM

This might have been covered but didn't really find anything. I just picked up an 07 YZ450 and am going to break it in tommorrow but am wondering about the oil from the factory. I am not sure if they just use regular Yamalube or some specific break in oil but what are your recommendations on it? Just break it in with the oil in it or drain it out and put some 10w40 or 20w50 in it before I even fire it up? Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2007 - 08:54 PM

It's just ordinary bulk oil. You can do what you want with it, but when I got the bike home, I drained it, installed my new Scotts oil filter, and filled it with the same Amsoil MCV I always run. The warnings against using synthetics during break in are old school BS.

Don't run it any harder than 80% or any less than 40% for the first 30 minutes, then go and run it like it was a year old.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CO_Rider

Posted July 11, 2007 - 07:56 AM

Thanks. Sounds good. I will pick up some oil today before I break it in.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 11, 2007 - 08:27 AM

The warnings against using synthetics during break in are old school BS.

Apparently the older engines benefited from having mineral oil to wear them in because the cylinders weren't machined as well. They say that new engine machining is so much better, so it's ok to use synthetic. So it's old school, but I don't know if I'd say it's BS, but I'm no mechanic or engine builder?:thumbsup:

They also say to accelerate hard and back off hard to wear an engine in well, but don't over-rev, and that if you baby it the rings will turn oval in shape which allows blow-by. That's what most people seem to do on their new bikes nowadays and no one I know(including myself) has had a problem as a result.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.