Which Flywheel for MX

3 replies to this topic
  • yzfmerf

Posted July 10, 2007 - 08:00 PM

After trying a couple of searches it seems like most of the flywheel questions apply to woods or trail riders. Anyone running one on an 06 and racing MX? i am thinking about the heavier GYTR offroad one.My skill or lack there of seems to guarantee at least one stall per moto so i am looking for a little help until my skills match the bike better. i also noticed a little more grunt with the PC header i added so i would not mind toning it down a little. I was not looking for HP when i got the header, just one that was not bent and i got a deal i could not pass up. Thanks for any input you can give me

• Butta

Posted July 10, 2007 - 09:09 PM

After trying a couple of searches it seems like most of the flywheel questions apply to woods or trail riders. Anyone running one on an 06 and racing MX? i am thinking about the heavier GYTR offroad one.My skill or lack there of seems to guarantee at least one stall per moto so i am looking for a little help until my skills match the bike better. i also noticed a little more grunt with the PC header i added so i would not mind toning it down a little. I was not looking for HP when i got the header, just one that was not bent and i got a deal i could not pass up. Thanks for any input you can give me

Just turn up your idle a bit, and learn to use the clutch when you bog the motor. Trust me, you'll catch on quick and find the flywheel a crutch waaay too soon.

OR, take a few laps on a 250 pinger, you'll get the hang of that big 450 in a jiffy!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted July 11, 2007 - 10:05 AM

I've been wondering what a heavier flywheel would be like on the YZ. I do like the very responsive control the throttle has over the rear wheel, but a bit more hook-up would be nice. The 2008 KX450F has a heavier flywheel than the '07 and they already seem to hook-up really well, but I'm wondering if that's due to the power curve or flywheel weight. If you've got the spare cash to blow, try one and let us know how you go with it.

• grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2007 - 10:52 AM

The weight is certainly an improvement on an '03. I use the 8 oz. Dr.D on mine everywhere.

But the '06 has a so much smoother power curve that I don't think it's really necessary. If the traction is really bad, it might help some. As far as stalling, I agree with Butta

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.