How many people would be interested in a pipe shootout?

16 replies to this topic
  • KJ790

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:16 PM

I am thinking about scraping up some money and doing my own YZ450 pipe shootout. I'm a little curious myself, but if nobody else wants to hear my personal results then I won't bother spending all the time, money, and effort in doing so. My goal would be to take a bunch of pipes (Ideally an FMF, Pro Circuit, White Brothers, and Dr. D) to a track and ride a couple laps with each one and report my findings. Let me know how much interest there would be. It may not be for a little while if I ever end up doing it (probably a couple months to get all the pipes).

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:22 PM

You'll need dyno runs (jetted), all done on the same day, or in California, where the weather never changes.

• KJ790

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:27 PM

I would do them all on the same day at a track. I personally don't care much for dyno graphs. Don't get me wrong, they are great the show where there is a power increase (if any). But just because a dyno shows that a pipe adds a little power here or there doesn't make a bike faster on a track. I want to do this test so that I can feel how smooth and ridable each pipe makes the bike, and compare lap times.

• bigbluerider4life

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:32 PM

sounds pretty awesome if you did do it! :thumbsup: im thinkin permanent sticky :thumbsup:
thats a lotta $ though...:busted:

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:42 PM

I would do them all on the same day at a track. I personally don't care much for dyno graphs. Don't get me wrong, they are great the show where there is a power increase (if any). But just because a dyno shows that a pipe adds a little power here or there doesn't make a bike faster on a track. I want to do this test so that I can feel how smooth and ridable each pipe makes the bike, and compare lap times.

And of course I meant you should do the dyno runs in conjunction with ride testing. But frankly, without the opinions of a good sized group of riders, and some sort of objective measurement, it's just one guy's opinion. It'd be interesting, but it would still be subjective.

• KJ790

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:45 PM

And of course I meant you should do the dyno runs in conjunction with ride testing. But frankly, without the opinions of a good sized group of riders, and some sort of objective measurement, it's just one guy's opinion. It'd be interesting, but it would still be subjective.

I agree completely, I just think it would be fun.

• skatpex99

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:52 PM

I will be getting a yz250f so would the improvements be the same for the 250 and 450? I think that it is a great idea.

• KJ790

Posted July 11, 2007 - 03:27 AM

I will be getting a yz250f so would the improvements be the same for the 250 and 450? I think that it is a great idea.

No, the results will not necessarily be the same for the 250F. However, I have already riden my YZ250F with three different pipes (not including stock) on it. Let me know if you want to hear what I thought of those.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted July 11, 2007 - 06:12 AM

Should throw the Leo Vince X3 system in the mix. I have that system on my '06 and couldn't be happier with both the performance and the build quality.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 11, 2007 - 10:37 AM

It simply amazes me the infatuation with "pipes". Which one will make me faster??????? "Which one sounds the coolest", "Which one is the most blingy"? "Which brand is the flavor of the month ?"

Yea I know, "Polar_Bus, shut up, pipes are cool"

KJ790, thanks for the effort (and it would be a MAJOR effort, and expense), but save your hard earned cash, and just ride....

• Markopolo400

Posted July 11, 2007 - 11:26 AM

Sounds like you need some test riders...:thumbsup:

I would be glad to volunteer my services. :thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted July 11, 2007 - 11:27 AM

"Which one sounds the coolest", "Which one is the most blingy"?

Well, since you asked, the X3 has a VERY nice deep tone to it down low and it comes with a pretty sweet carbon fiber guard/heat shield on the header and carbon fiber silencer bracket. :thumbsup:

• mn519

Posted July 11, 2007 - 12:57 PM

However, I have already riden my YZ250F with three different pipes (not including stock) on it. Let me know if you want to hear what I thought of those.

:thumbsup: Would love to hear what you thought of the different pipes for the 250f. Post it up in the 250f forum if you would be so kind.:thumbsup:

If you do the 450 comparo post that up too, I will read it for sure!

• WB450

Posted July 11, 2007 - 01:43 PM

I would be interested in just how much a aftermarket pipe adds over stock with a PMB end cap.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 12, 2007 - 03:22 AM

I would be interested in just how much a aftermarket pipe adds over stock with a PMB end cap.

I tried to find an old issue of Dirt Bike, that had an interesting 5 pipe shootout with an older DRZ400, but I musta' tossed the mag. If I remember correctly all the pipes added about 1-1/2 to 3 hp. I remember the Yoshimura was the best all around, and the Pro Circut had the best peak hp, and the FMF was another great all around pipe. The testers had to do a lot of jetting tweaks to reap top hp from each individual pipe (and the testers had the benifit of a real world engine dyno). For an ordinary racer to slap 4 different pipes on their MX bike, bust out severall laps for each pipe, and come back with consistant and fair data would be almost impossible (and tiring! LOL).

• WB450

Posted July 12, 2007 - 07:07 AM

Good info, thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2007 - 08:09 AM

Tests on YZ450's that I've seen have generally shown about the same thing. The most any of the pipes could produce was just at, or very near, 2 hp. The pipes that approached that figure usually also gave some up in other parts of the power curve in order to get the peak numbers, though.

IMO, most of the new 450's need more power for MX about as badly as the average Corvair needs a radiator flush. What is beneficial, though, is something that would broaden and flatten the power curve, making it puller harder sooner, keep pulling longer, and smooth out any sudden spikes in the power. That's what makes the power more usable, lowers lap times, and makes the bike more fun to ride. On the tests I saw, the FMF Factory 4/Ti 4 with the Power Bomb, and the Dr. D pipes, while they did not pull the biggest peak numbers (the FMF at was .75 over the stock peak, and about 500 rpm sooner; the Dr. D was about .5 over), they added more power at more points along the curve than the others did, so I would favor those.

But each bike is different, and what works optimally for an '04 won't be the same for an '06, which may well be different that what works for an '07.

The other thing is that Yamaha's OEM systems are really very good to begin with, so they're harder to improve on than some. I recall a pipe test on the first RMZ450 in which some systems were adding as much as 6 hp. Don't expect that from a YZF.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.