Fork Oil???

5 replies to this topic
  • Eric_in_WA

Posted April 25, 2000 - 08:24 AM

The Yamaha manual recommends 01 fork oil. The dealer did not have any and wasn’t sure what weight it was. I called Yamaha and the representative was not technically inclined and said “the technician said to get 01 oil”. Anyone out there know what viscosity the Yamaha 01 oil is???

Thanks for your help.

Eric in WA
==========
’99 WR400, YZ timing, IMS Tank, YZ Seat, Acerbis Handguards, Scotts Steering Damper, Renthal Bars, Yamaha Full Skidplate, Devol Rad Guards, Dunlop 755F & 756R Tires
’99 Polaris 400 Scrambler –“Trail Couch, Toolbox and Lunchwagon”, ’99 Honda Z50R, ’97 Honda XR70R, Kubota L275DT and an assortment of farm equipment.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 25, 2000 - 08:34 AM

5 wt. I changed mine a few months ago and used Honda 5 wt. fork oil.

• jamie

Posted April 26, 2000 - 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Eric in WA:
The Yamaha manual recommends 01 fork oil. The dealer did not have any and wasn’t sure what weight it was. I called Yamaha and the representative was not technically inclined and said “the technician said to get 01 oil”. Anyone out there know what viscosity the Yamaha 01 oil is???

Thanks for your help.

Eric in WA
==========
’99 WR400, YZ timing, IMS Tank, YZ Seat, Acerbis Handguards, Scotts Steering Damper, Renthal Bars, Yamaha Full Skidplate, Devol Rad Guards, Dunlop 755F & 756R Tires
’99 Polaris 400 Scrambler –“Trail Couch, Toolbox and Lunchwagon”, ’99 Honda Z50R, ’97 Honda XR70R, Kubota L275DT and an assortment of farm equipment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted April 27, 2000 - 02:24 AM

Eric,
How much do you weigh and what do you ride, mx, trail, etc.?

------------------
99 WR, 84 Kaw 900 Ninja, '82 Honda CB750F clothes hanger, '84 Honda Z50 "Berm Destroyer". Always thinkin' "Hell, this worked on my 2 stroke!!"

• Harry_in_Oz

Posted April 27, 2000 - 02:47 AM

With the standard 5 wt the compression damping on WRs is excessive for most trail applications ie. rocks and logs.
2.5 wt didn't help much and many Australian riders simply backed the compression damping as low as it would go or installed gold valves. Apparently there is a valve in the standard forks that is too small. I made up a lower viscosity oil and was able to dial in the conmpression damping to handle sharp hits brilliantly. As yet I can't buy a dedicated fork oil in Queensland that is light enough because it is imported via Western Australia, apparently the traditional camel train routes have been disrupted by the cyclones causing flooding in the deserts.
Redline Oils make three oils that are lighter than the standard Yamaha 01 fork oil. As near as I can measure the Yamaha 01 has a viscosity of ~30cSt at 40 degrees C.. Redline make a 'LightWeight' fluid at 18.4cSt an 'ExtraLight' at 9.8cSt and 'Like Water' at 5.5cSt (all at 40degrees C.) The oil I am using is about 7cSt. I intend to use the 'Like Water' product when I can get it.
The importer is 'Red Line Oils PTY LTD' at Osborne Park WA. Their phone number is: 89 446 4455 .
As long as you are changing the fork oil you may as well try the lightest.
I change my fork oil quite often and use Rubber Grease to pack between the fork seal and the dust wipers. Proper O ring chain oil is good in there as well to prevent seal stickion since it is formulated to lubricate a neoprene and steel interface.
If you are still awake after all that, I hope that this is of use to you .
Regards from Harry

• Eric_in_WA

Posted April 27, 2000 - 03:06 PM

I weigh about 240 lbs with gear. I ride about 70% trails and 30% track.

It sounds like the lightest weight oil is best.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Eric in WA

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.