best oil for the wr???

6 replies to this topic
  • donnylad

Posted February 22, 2002 - 11:16 AM

whats a good oil for the wr400?

• lewichris

Posted February 22, 2002 - 12:32 PM

do a search on this. it has been brought up alot.
Yamalube is always a good choice but always change your oil ever couple of rides or 200 miles. But again do a search

• Tim_in_WA

Posted February 22, 2002 - 01:20 PM

Like lewichris said, there's a ton of info on oil in the archives. A lot of guys run Mobil 1 15w-40 synthetic (automotive type). I used it in my bikes for years, but recently switched to Lubrication Engineers motor oil. You have to work to find a dealer, but it's great oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • idahodirt

Posted February 23, 2002 - 10:04 PM

There are alot of threads on this but none mention the Shell Ultra 4. It is recommended in the KTM manuels, but you can't buy it in the states. Shouldn't be a problem in Europe. Lewichris, have you tried the Mobil MX4t. We can buy it at Schucks on Appleway for $7.99/qt.

• Tom_Rowlee

Posted February 24, 2002 - 07:29 AM

mobil 1 15/50 automotive i use it in my gold wing gl 1500 and my wr . great stuff

• SealClubber

Posted February 24, 2002 - 11:31 AM

Isn't the whole point of synthetics is that you can run it for longer periods before changing? I have been using standard yamaha oil and when I change the oil it still looks new. I know the reason to change the oil often is because of the contamination not the breakdown so isn't it a waste to run synthetic only to change it every few hundred miles. BTW I only use synthetic in my car and Triumph but I think it is a waste in the dirt bike. My opinion.

• Bill

Posted February 24, 2002 - 01:36 PM

I ain't no petro-chemist, but my understanding is that synthetic oils offers better protection during cold starts. And YES does not breakdown as readily as dino oils.

I also look at, the longer the oil is in the motor, the more contaminents (micro particles of metal, clutch, fuel and dirt) are still being absorbed and circulated, unless you change at the same intervals as dino oil.

Hey nothing to good for my baby.

Bill :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.