Fuel To Hot (Bubbling) Help :eek:

17 replies to this topic
  • Randy_Bell

Posted April 22, 2000 - 07:08 PM

I’ve been reading the forum now for a good 4 months. Every ? answered. Without even the need to post it :). I thank you for that.

I've just installed the IMS seat & Tank combo and Big Gun SDS (Pipe&Can). It’s running great but the fuel is so hot I can hear it bubbling in the tank. Is this normal????

I've searched the archives and still nothing.

Dougie, Clarke, Brian, OZ
Anyone, Can you help a bubbling fool.

• paul913

Posted April 23, 2000 - 04:21 AM

Bubbling Fool,
Are you sure it's the fuel? Is there any chance it could be your radiator fluid? I can't imagine the tank could take that much heat. It would surely melt before the boiling point.

Try pulling the plug. Chances are that with your new pipe and new found air flow, you are running way too lean. If the plug is grey or white, boost the main jet a couple. Or better yet, read the vast knowledge base here on jetting.

Just to be on the safe side, though, don't strike any matches :)

Jake

• Randy_Bell

Posted April 23, 2000 - 05:36 AM

Jake
The reason I know its the fuel is because I could here a hissing noise coming from the rad area. So i immediately thought as you did that it was the rad cap over heating. Under further investigation I pulled the gas cap vent hose from the center of the steering column and noticed it hissing. It was forcing air out through the opposite way of the one-way valve (stock). So I loosened off the gas cap and air then rushed out.???
I then looked into the tank and could see the bubbles coming from the gas.??

Note: I did have the Big Gun pipe and silencer on for a few rides before I put on the IMS seat & tank. And never had a problem with the stock tank with BG SDS pipe&can.

Thanks Jake

• Eric_in_WA

Posted April 23, 2000 - 06:20 AM

Interesting.... I have the IMS tank and have a BigGun SDS on order.

Gasoline has a high vapor pressure at elevated temperatures - that means it easily vaporizes or "boils". Thats why it works well as a fuel.

Have you talked to BigGun?

I suggest putting some insulating material on the bottom of the tank - such as adhesive backed foams - look at Home Depot or your local hardware store.

Let us know how that works or any other solution you come up with.

Eric in WA
==========================================
’99 WR400, YZ timing, IMS Tank, YZ Seat, Acerbis Handguards, Scotts Steering Damper, Renthal Bars, Yamaha Full Skidplate, Devol Rad Guards, Dunlop 755F & 756R Tires
’99 Polaris 400 Scrambler –“Trail Couch and Lunchwagon”
’99 Honda Z50R
’97 Honda XR70R
Kubota L275DT and an assortment of farm equipment.

• Dougie

Posted April 23, 2000 - 10:03 AM

I have heard bubbling noises only two times, but I just assumed it was the radiator or oil overheating. I never even dreamed it could be the gas. It hasn't happened in a while but it has been cool lately. I'll keep an ear out for it and let you know if it happens again. I do know that with my FMF pipe, it runs very close to the bottom of that IMS tank.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

• JamesD

Posted April 23, 2000 - 11:27 AM

If you look at the plastic on the right side number panel you'll notice that it is lined with reflective shielding. This reflects the radiant heat given off by the pipe.

Try putting aluminum foil on the underside of the tank with some double sided tape or glue. Cut it to size and make it look nice of course but it will do the same thing as the shielding on the number plate. Make sure the shiny side faces away from the tank.

[This message has been edited by JamesD (edited 04-23-2000).]

• mcarp

Posted April 23, 2000 - 02:05 PM

I seriously doubt the gas could be boiling. The tank would melt. Probably just steam from the radiator. As far as bubbles in the gas, maybe pressurized and bubbled or is coming up though the gasline (may mean carb vent hoses are clogged?).

• Pyroted

Posted April 23, 2000 - 04:40 PM

The first time I heard that hissing I thought I ran the RAD dry and that was the last drops of water boiling away. Boy was I glad to find that wasn't the case. My vent tube (like yours)has a oneway valve and it doesn't alow vapors to vent very fast so pressure does build up. My hose goes down the head tube and that just amplified the sound. It was so loud I could hear it with the motor running and my helmet on. Glad I'm Not the only one with sounds in my head. :)

• Randy_Bell

Posted April 23, 2000 - 06:24 PM

We'll as usual you've all given me lots to try. So tomorrow I'll give a few things a werl and see what happens.

Note: today I rode with the one-way valve (fuel stop) removed and I noticed it wasn’t pressurizing(obviously). But the fuel seemed cooler.It was cooler today but I wonder if its like the water boiling trick, If you put a lid on the pot it will boil or heat up quiker!.Due to pressure??

Just haven A Brain fart :)
Thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted April 23, 2000 - 09:25 PM

No, a rise in pressure raises the boiling point. That's why your cooling system is pressurized, so it can run hotter before it boils over. Without the one way valve you'll lose gas out the hose if the bike falls over. I noticed when the SDS came out that it rises up right to where the IMS tank petcock is, dangerously close.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• PSC

Posted April 24, 2000 - 03:37 AM

Randy,

It is possible for your fuel to "boil", just remember that fuel is made of different components with different volatilitys and boiling points.

Remember as well that some States have Winter & Summer fuels, the Winter fuels tend to be more volatile to drop emissions and to improve cold starting. The summer fuels tend to have less volatiles so as to minimise vapour lock and fuel evaporation pollution.

Have you measured the actual temperature of the fuel yet ? Try getting a probe down to the fuel/tank interface where the exhaust goes.

Ultimately you will have to resolve the problem with BigGun, it will help to have some info though.

Paul Card
00' 426

• Snyder

Posted April 24, 2000 - 05:00 AM

Originally posted by Randy Bell:
I’ve been reading the forum now for a good 4 months. Every ? answered. Without even the need to post it :). I thank you for that.

I've just installed the IMS seat & Tank combo and Big Gun SDS (Pipe&Can). It’s running great but the fuel is so hot I can hear it bubbling in the tank. Is this normal????

I've searched the archives and still nothing.

Dougie, Clarke, Brian, OZ
Anyone, Can you help a bubbling fool.

Randy, I have the IMS tank with a White Bros E exhaust system. The hissing sound is from the vent on the gas cap. The IMS gas cap seems to vent poorly. Check your vent hose routing to ensure proper flow.

• MotoGreg

Posted April 24, 2000 - 05:52 PM

The tank shouldn't vent outwards. That's why there is a one way valve. The valve lets air into the tank so that fuel can drain out. If you didn't let air in it would be like holding your finger over the top of a straw, nothing would drain out the bottom.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

• Snyder

Posted April 24, 2000 - 06:54 PM

Sorry I guess I never made myself clear enough. The vent I am speaking of is in the rubber gasket/ grommet in the fuel cap. Not the one way valve in the breather hose. My tank will hiss and make a bubbling sound if this gasket is not sitting just right when tightened.

• MotoGreg

Posted April 24, 2000 - 07:07 PM

Snyder, ok I see what you mean. I have the IMS tank too and I have to really over tighten the cap in order for it to not leak fuel out from around the cap. I don't know if it's the cap or the tank that's the problem. I wish I still had my original gas cap to try out. I suspect that it's the tank and not the cap though.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

• Randy_Bell

Posted April 24, 2000 - 07:34 PM

When PYROTED mentioned

"The hose goes down the head tube and that just amplified the sound".

Is exactly the noise I was hearing. In fact the pressure was so great that the bike wouldn't start after it had stalled. Perhaps flooding the carb bowls with gas (like pressurized fuel). The second I turned the gas cap to loosen it, air rushed out. I tightened it back up, left it for 3-4 min. and loosened it again to find more pressure venting out (Not normal pressure but good pressure). The bike was still hot at the time so I could determine if the gas was overheating or not. Only after venting the gas cap lid would the bike start.

As for the ride today with the vent hose (one-way) valve gone. There seems to be no problems. I may give that suggestion to use some of the heat reflecting tape a try as we’ll. If I can find it.

PS: MotoGreg that petcock is very close, so close I cant even turn the valve to close it. I’ll have to cut it I geuss. Maybe a stock YZ tank would be more apropiate.petcock on the other side away from the pipe.

Thanks

• Scott

Posted April 25, 2000 - 10:03 AM

I have also experieced this extreme pressure coming from my hose. :)

My gas cap exhaust hose was spewing air/gas out of the hose and down in the steering column.. I thought this was strange, but the bike was running fine, so I didn't worry too much about it.

Then the bike started stalling. I noticed that the hose was actually being pinched under my crossbar pad. I removed the pad and made sure the hose was not kninked anymore. The bike ran fine after that and the gas pressure was much less.

I not sure if the kinked hose was causing the pressure or not...

• Bill

Posted April 25, 2000 - 12:07 PM

If you would like you can try wrapping the header with Asbestos tape. It is sold in most auto parts stores, a "speed shop" is you can find one. It may have to be ordered. It is used for racing applications, wrapped around the header tubes to cool the engine compartment. Not very pretty but functional.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.