still serious confusion with a 98 WR400

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 19, 2000 - 03:23 PM

I went through all the carberator and there is nothing there. It's really annoying. Another fun fact I found out today is that the owner of the motorcycle went through trying to change the exhaust timing to the YZ's settings to give more power but the smart guy went back a tooth instead of forward a tooth. That could cause the valve o get bent but the motor cycle still runs on choke but when the choke is shut off it stalls right out.

If you need more info look at the topic I first placed Serious confusion with a 98 WR400.

Thanks

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 20, 2000 - 10:27 AM

What PJ is in the bike and how many turns on the Fuel Screw?

The 'choke' on the WR actually 'adds' fuel, - Clark is this correct? You may be way lean on the FS w/o the choke, but able to run with the choke engaged. Just an idea.

It sounds like there have been some performance mods done the bike - removed air box lid, removed exhaust baffle. The carb may be way too lean for the mods & weather conditions.

My '99 would not start w/stock 45 PJ after I removed the air box lid. I backed out the FS a 1/4 turn at a time and it would start/run better & better the more turns out. Once I put in the 48 PJ it would actuall start & run.

Brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 25, 2000 - 09:07 PM

Chronus,
Any luck with this bike?

Brian

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 25, 2000 - 03:49 PM

I agree with Brian. Furthermore, the choke add a fixed quantity of gaz independently of the throttle opening. Then the bike run leaner as you open the throttle since you add more air but not enough more fuel.

I had the same problem with an old gs400, was just dirt in all the carb. Look at the jetting, you should see the jet's number on the jets and post the datas, it could answer some questions.

Thank for the info (Brian) on the pj without air cover, my mechanic had some problem to find the problem, this will be a good clue for him.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.