Speedometer for the XR650R

18 replies to this topic
  • dick757

Posted July 10, 2007 - 04:40 AM

Wondering if anyone knows were I could get a speedo for my BRP
Ihad a Trail Tech (not the Vapor) and it stopped working after about 5 month's (95% street riding), so wanted to stay away from the electronic sensor type
But want your opion on these types as well, like the Vapor and Accwell

Thanks
Derick

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted July 10, 2007 - 05:57 AM

I've had my Vapor on for about 6 months now and am loving it! No problems at all even on serious offroad trails.

• slider BRP

Posted July 10, 2007 - 06:01 AM

I just had the Vapor put on my new XR650R but i am overseas and have not been able to use it. I went over a few with the mech. at the dealership and he agreed that the vapor was the way to go.

• dezracerE

Posted July 10, 2007 - 06:03 AM

I have had 2 trail techs on 2 different bikes- nary a problem.

• creeky

Posted July 10, 2007 - 06:07 AM

If all you need is a speedo and an odo, try a motorcycle salvage yard. My son bought a speedo for his BRP off an old XL 350 for $10, fabbed a bracket from aluminum, hooked up to the stock cable, works great.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 10, 2007 - 11:46 AM

Ive got an 07 that i wanta put a computer on. Im thinking either the Vapor or the Endurance. I figure i dont really need the tach or engine temp sensor so i proble go with the endurance computer cause its around $40 cheeper.

• dick757

Posted July 10, 2007 - 11:52 AM

Thanks guys
add more if you like

The endurance as told by me by a lot of dealers is not very good and that is why they stopped selling it
but they also said the Vapor was good
I may check the salvage yard, but just wanted something to start off fresh
May be better to spend $10 instead of $150

• rhino105amx

Posted July 10, 2007 - 12:31 PM

I use one of these. It is electronic, but you can't beat the price. http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000E3AUSU

• Rockjockey

Posted July 10, 2007 - 12:51 PM

This is the ticket, it has electronic pickup but is dead on reliable and built rock solid. I use a similar model for enduro work on my 440 and have not had any problems from it in years of use (and abuse). Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

http://icoracing.com/ds3.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resslera

Posted July 10, 2007 - 03:36 PM

I got one of the small chrome ones from baja designs. Anolog type that fits very well up there and has been rock solid to date.

• dick757

Posted July 10, 2007 - 04:50 PM

I got one of the small chrome ones from baja designs. Anolog type that fits very well up there and has been rock solid to date.

Wanted one of those, but can't seem to get one in KM's just MPH, being a Canada boy

• dick757

Posted July 10, 2007 - 04:55 PM

This is the ticket, it has electronic pickup but is dead on reliable and built rock solid. I use a similar model for enduro work on my 440 and have not had any problems from it in years of use (and abuse). Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

http://icoracing.com/ds3.htm

So this would hook up like the Trail Tech, but you are having good luck with it
Sounds pretty good, and simple for a guy like me
Thanks

• stevevh

Posted July 10, 2007 - 06:31 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: For the ICO. It is bulletproof and really easy to hook up. Scotts racing sells a really nice mount for it also. As said it is not cheap but these are one of the best. Touratech also make some high end race computers. All I needed was a speedo and odometer and I got one of the ICO Dual sports of fleabay for around $70.

Steve

• dick757

Posted July 11, 2007 - 02:49 AM

I sent ICO an e-mail to check them out
They are $$$, but so is the Vapor

• Desertskyy

Posted July 11, 2007 - 07:29 AM

I also have this same one. It is holding up real well; no complaints.

• rm298z

Posted July 11, 2007 - 08:04 AM

I've been using a $10 mtn bike speedo from walmart and so far it works pretty good. You can calibrate it for any wheel size.

• dick757

Posted July 11, 2007 - 08:49 AM

I also have this same one. It is holding up real well; no complaints.

If I could get it in KM instead of MPH I would
But the ICO and Vapor are looking good, I just like the idea of the mechanical one
I don't know if Tucker Rocky is still in Canada, I will do a search on that
There is a place call MC Distributing that has a version of it as well, but have not seen it as there website is not up to date

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 12, 2007 - 06:29 AM

Thanks guys
add more if you like

The endurance as told by me by a lot of dealers is not very good and that is why they stopped selling it
but they also said the Vapor was good
I may check the salvage yard, but just wanted something to start off fresh
May be better to spend $10 instead of $150

So what kind of problems have the endurance computer had? If you all agree its no good maby i should spend the exta $40 and get a Vapor for my XR?

• dick757

Posted July 12, 2007 - 09:37 AM

Well, mine would work great until 70 km/h, aprox 30 mph
than it would jump all over the place
There was no back light at night, unless you het the button
There was no odometer to tell my total aculated miles, just went to 60 miles and started over
The connections were cleaned everyday, but did not seem to make a difference
Than it just stopped working altogether, stay at 0 than jump everywhere, than nothing, seemed to get wet and burned out
That is what I had happen

The vapor has an odometer, a pemanant backlight, and hour meter and a few other things
The dealers that had the endurance stopped selling them and went to the Vapor
If it works as good as they say, the extra $40 is worth it

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.