Oil Leak around drive sproket!!!!!

3 replies to this topic
  • Pete

Posted April 24, 2000 - 03:49 AM

I noticed a small oil leak around my drive sproket when the bike (99wr) is warmed up and running. Obviously it's a problem, but how hard is it going to be to fix this dilemma.

• WFO_DON

Posted April 24, 2000 - 04:00 AM

TRY THE SAME TRICK LIKE FORK SEALS.RUN A .003
SHIM OR FEELER GAUGE AROUND THE INSIDE OF THE SEAL.ALSO THERE S/B A LARGE ROUND BUSHING AROUND THE COUNTER SHAFT JUST BEHIND THE SPROKET.LOOK AT YOUR MANUAL.THERE IS A SEAL
AT THE CASE WHERE THE SHAFT COMES OUT AND IS EASY TO REPLACE. IT HAS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I
LOOKED IN THE MANUAL.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 24, 2000 - 03:51 PM

There nothing to it. I just changed mine. Pull of the countershaft and behind it is basically a dirt cover that is bolted down with 2 screws. Take that off and pry the seal out. Be sure and lube the shaft :Dbefore you slip the new seal on. I think what caused mine to fail was keeping my chain too tight.

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

• RodH

Posted April 24, 2000 - 04:26 PM

I beleive that this has been a problem on the WR's, but it's supposed to be caused from the chain being run too tight, or that's what Yamaha claim ?

------------------
R o d. H. Canberra, Australia400 Thumpers Australia
Almost a 2000' WR400

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.