Adjusting Seat height - XR650L

23 replies to this topic
  • Jayzonk

Posted July 09, 2007 - 04:10 PM

Just wondering how I can lower my XR650L by one to two inches. Can we just adjust the shock? Can I do it at home?
Thanks,
J

• Whiteman

Posted July 09, 2007 - 05:22 PM

http://www.gutsracing.com/ for a lower seat foam
a lowering link.
raise the forks a little.
You can do it at home.

• Jayzonk

Posted July 09, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Isn't there a way to adjust the rear suspension and lower the bike? I don't want to have to buy any components.

• Denn10

Posted July 10, 2007 - 05:38 AM

Then your SOL your gonna need a lowering bracket for the suspension linkage you cant just back the spring up or anything you need to have the spring set right for the suspension to work correctly. Theres no real way to lower the rear without the linkage.

• martinfan30

Posted July 10, 2007 - 06:46 AM

i dont see why you cant. i raised mine cause im 6'5". i raised it maybe 1 1/2 in. suspension still works good. there is 2 spanner nuts on the shock to raise/lower ride height.

• Denn10

Posted July 10, 2007 - 10:02 AM

thats not to adjust ride height that to set your spring up and if you make it too loose or too tight your shock isnt working correctly. Its only a cheat way to make it sag a bit and its not worth a get off cuz you got it so loose you bottom out on some little bump and get thrown to the ground!!

• Huffa 2

Posted July 10, 2007 - 10:43 AM

thats not to adjust ride height that to set your spring up and if you make it too loose or too tight your shock isnt working correctly. Its only a cheat way to make it sag a bit and its not worth a get off cuz you got it so loose you bottom out on some little bump and get thrown to the ground!!

Correct :thumbsup:

You want a 1/2 to one inch of STATIC sag in rear. That means how much you bike sags with no one sitting on it.

This should help .............

http://www.gps-suspe...ide_offroad.htm

.........although that is more important on a bike that leaves the ground quite often, not sure if it's that big of deal on a DS or not?

Come to think of it, I never checked mine :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted July 10, 2007 - 11:28 AM

ok, well it has worked great for me to get a little more height out of it.

• Denn10

Posted July 10, 2007 - 01:15 PM

Theres no easy fix for having the correct sping for your correct weight, i dont have a clue why you would want your L even higher than it already is but i guess thats comfortable for you. Correct suspension setup ie spring, sag, comp, rebound will make a world of difference vs just throwing your leg around any old bike thats not setup for the individual. I have learned this the hard way years ago racing MX

• martinfan30

Posted July 10, 2007 - 02:11 PM

Theres no easy fix for having the correct sping for your correct weight, i dont have a clue why you would want your L even higher than it already is but i guess thats comfortable for you. Correct suspension setup ie spring, sag, comp, rebound will make a world of difference vs just throwing your leg around any old bike thats not setup for the individual. I have learned this the hard way years ago racing MX

6'6".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bvw

Posted July 10, 2007 - 05:44 PM

Good info , I am going to have to try something to go lower, i am only 5'8" 170 & it kinda sucks not being able to get both feet on the ground with the PIG....

• Whiteman

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:03 PM

At 6'6" you might weigh enough to max out the spring you have so that is why you may be ok.

Suspension is not the place to take short cuts.

• martinfan30

Posted July 10, 2007 - 08:15 PM

any good tips on getting a replacement spring for my pig? i know i should. where to look?

• Jayzonk

Posted July 12, 2007 - 07:39 AM

so you guys are saying that I can't use the spanner nuts to lower the ride height? What if I still have enough sag?

• Denn10

Posted July 12, 2007 - 10:28 AM

OK real quickly there are a few things for a correct rear shock setup that you need, there are shortcuts that work BUT.. it could be your safety on the line so take the chance if you want to or if you really cant afford it for now. Your free sag is the difference of the bike on the ground(no rider) and what it is on a stand BUT you dont set that, you will have correct free sag if you have the correct spring for your weight and correct sag(with rider) set. You cannot get your sag and shock working right if you dont have the correct spring first. NOW you dont have to buy a spring if your a few pounds over or less than what its rated for but like MARTIN who is 6'6" is gotta be more than 200lbs which a stock spring is set for prolly close to 160 lbs . So if he is to adjust his sag with rider on he CAN get it right BUT when hes done he will have NO free sag cuz he had to over torque the spring for a lower weight. Just an example MARTIN ok lol

So depending on your weight will tell you if you can kinda stretch a tad bit if your close to what the stock spring is rated for. Sag with rider should be around 3 7/8 or 4 inches for most bikes dont quote me for XRL but im sure thats really close if its not already.

rear shock always starts with the correct spring THEN you can set your sag with rider and you should have correct free sag after all that. By no means will it make u crash but if your too loose or too tight on a spring your rear will act very different than it should and it very well could cause a get off if you hit a hole or a little jump wrong. RACE TECH has a spring calculator for weight and there are quite a few more online ive just used RT springs.

Heres link for my 03 but your might be different so you can put your year in and use the calculator with your style riding and weight http://www.racetech....angname=english

• Denn10

Posted July 12, 2007 - 10:31 AM

Martin JayZ what are both of your weights?

• martinfan30

Posted July 12, 2007 - 11:56 AM

Martin JayZ what are both of your weights?

230 lbs. thanks for the advise! this being my first "Modern" bike, the suspension part of it is new to me. all the other s&*^ is old hat!:thumbsup:

• Coolidge

Posted July 12, 2007 - 12:19 PM

Im only 5'-7" 155lbs, and my bike is just a little too tall for me (97 XR 600r) Im pretty small/light so the stock boinger works pretty good. Can the seat be shaved to lower height .5"-1.0"? The website w/the seats appeared to only have taller & std seats. The 'step' seat looks like a add-on to a normal seat(?) Anyways, I'd like to lower just a bit, but not mess w/susp. Any ideas?

• Denn10

Posted July 12, 2007 - 02:45 PM

MARTIN did u check out racetech? its a good site for seeing what springs are for the weight, it says 11.5 for you I know you can make do with stock springs but you would be surprised how much better you would feel with a spring for yourself. I have a spring another bike that was for 230 lbs let me do some research to see if its same length and all other dimensions to see if it will fit a L and ill let you know maybe i can dump it off to ya and help ya out a bit ill get back with you when i get the info

• Denn10

Posted July 12, 2007 - 02:47 PM

Im only 5'-7" 155lbs, and my bike is just a little too tall for me (97 XR 600r) Im pretty small/light so the stock boinger works pretty good. Can the seat be shaved to lower height .5"-1.0"? The website w/the seats appeared to only have taller & std seats. The 'step' seat looks like a add-on to a normal seat(?) Anyways, I'd like to lower just a bit, but not mess w/susp. Any ideas?

you could shave some foam there may be some other alternatives but im not sure maybe search but id bet you could shave 1/2 inch off the seat and make it feel alot better for your height.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.