Bang! Bang! Someone was shooted? No, this is the muffler!!!

2 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 21, 2000 - 08:21 AM

I went to my dealer last week-end to see my futur bike. we had some problem starting it because it start well but after a secind or two, it dies with or without throttle or choke. After 15 minutes or trying, we finally get the machine hot. I tried it for the first time in just the first gear. RREEAALLY impressed by the quickness of the engine, was on the rear wheel more fast than expected!!! However, the bike is doing backfire. I means real loud and spaced (gun like sound) back fire every 2-4 seconds when closing the throttle.

Philosophal question: Is backfiring a lean or rich conditions. Do we solve it with a needle, main jet or air screw adjustment??

The canadian bike is stock. The funny thing is that I asked to the mechanic if the airbox cover is still there, he answered: Is there an air cover on the wr??? I suspect that the previous owner removed the airbox cover and did not rejet. This could be the cause isn't it??

Robin

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JamesD

Posted April 21, 2000 - 02:28 PM

When I bought mine new, it didn't want to keep running at first. Who knows what someone did to a used bike. The only way to find out is to take it apart. Backfires could be caused by messed up cam timing and all sorts of things.

• MotoGreg

Posted April 21, 2000 - 04:16 PM

They all backfire on closed throttle deceleration. It's too lean, you have to re-jet, see the technical section.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.