01 XR650R hard kick after adjsuting valves

10 replies to this topic
  • n2motocrf450

Posted July 09, 2007 - 07:55 AM

My friend ans I adjusted our valves on our XR650R's his is a 2001 XR650R and mine is a 2004 XR650R, we did them identical, we even tore them down and re-did the valve adjustment. The problem is his seems to be locking up when we kick start it, we pull in the compression release and it releases, once started, it sounds normal, both our valves were tight on the Intake side, I am thinking that his bike just has more compression now that the valves are fully closed. I am wondering has anyone ever had this happen to them?

• BWB63

Posted July 09, 2007 - 10:35 AM

You didn't adjust the left exhuast valve right. It's the one that the auto compression pushes. If you adjust it when you moved the flywheel the wrong way to get to TDC the auto decompress will start to press the exhaust valve and you will adjust that valve way to loose to make up for it. Once you get the engine started it will make a tackiting sound from the loose valve clearance.

• Billahjack

Posted July 09, 2007 - 05:04 PM

http://xr650r.us/tech/valves.pdf

• n2motocrf450

Posted July 10, 2007 - 06:31 AM

:thumbsup: That's the article we read and re-read, thank's for the input we are going to re-adjust them tonight, I will post after if we found something or did something incorrectly. Thanks!

• abby

Posted July 10, 2007 - 10:45 AM

The flywheel doesn't have to move backwards hardly at all either. The slightest backward movement seems to engage it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted July 10, 2007 - 11:00 AM

I adjust the valves in two steps as you would any other engine. I watch the cam and make sure the rocker arm is at the bottom of the lobe for the two valves I am adjusting at that time (intake or exhaust). You can see the cam from the carburetor side. When ajusting the exhaust side you can "feel" when the auto decompressor is pressing on the one valve and will let go at a point. Moving the rocker arms will let you know when it "lets go". Going to TDC (there are two TDC) on the compression stroke works also but, you have to make sure that the decompression is not engaged. This is almost the same as the way I do it but, you are not at the bottom of the cam lobe for both intake and exhaust and if you pass TDC you are screwed. Or if the engine kicks back from compression. The cam does not want to stay at TDC ether, it helps to take out the spark plug.

• n2motocrf450

Posted July 11, 2007 - 06:17 AM

:thumbsup: I re-tore down the bike, double checked the valves, they left exhaust valve was a little loose, double checked all of them , spun the motor around again to TDC and set the auto decompresser play as per the manual. Started the bike, it doesn't make any ticking, rattling noises nor did it the first time. When I kickstart the bike, when it comes to TDC, it gets real hard to kick over, like the bike has alot of compression, it's not hanging/sticking like it was. I appreciate all the input and thanks for your time. :thumbsup: We are going to go do two days of Dualsporting in Hood River, Or at the Black Dog in this weekend. Thanks Guys.

• dick757

Posted July 12, 2007 - 03:29 AM

just get that flywheel perfect and don't let it move a mm
Had to do mine a few times before I got it right, just like the artical says
Have fun on the trip

• n2motocrf450

Posted July 16, 2007 - 08:12 AM

:thumbsup: Hey guys everything went great on the BlackDog Dualsport Ride. Our bike's performed great, As always thanks for the expert tech info. Here's a few pics, me and my Buddy in the mud bleeding from a puncture to the arm from a tree in the trail. We taped him up and he finished. He later went on to get stitches. Thanks Guys.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Old_Man_Time

Posted July 16, 2007 - 10:44 AM

:thumbsup: I re-tore down the bike, double checked the valves, they left exhaust valve was a little loose, double checked all of them , spun the motor around again to TDC and set the auto decompresser play as per the manual. Started the bike, it doesn't make any ticking, rattling noises nor did it the first time. When I kickstart the bike, when it comes to TDC, it gets real hard to kick over, like the bike has alot of compression, it's not hanging/sticking like it was. I appreciate all the input and thanks for your time. :thumbsup: We are going to go do two days of Dualsporting in Hood River, Or at the Black Dog in this weekend. Thanks Guys.

At top dead center it is supposed to be hard to kick over. It can actually bring your leg to a dead stop when you try to kick it over from this position. Not all of them have the same resistance but it is quite common. When you find this hard spot (TDC), pull in your manual decompression lever and kick about 1 inch past TDC. Let the kicker ratchet back to the top so you can get a full kick. Let her fly she will kick over and start easier than many smaller bikes.

• David Von

Posted July 16, 2007 - 06:09 PM

ok did you engage accidentally the decrompress the piston when you adjusted the valve that could be the problem,

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.