Noisy Engine

4 replies to this topic
  • ButtonFly

Posted April 17, 2000 - 09:22 PM

I got my 99 WR with 7 miles on it from the shipper today. Man this thing rocks. Fast, powerful, and handles well (this is totally stock, baffle and snorkel too!!!) Sheesh. Only thing is, the engine seems noisy. Not grinding or screeching, but lots of ticking type noises and mechanical noise. Is this normal? It sounds very similar to my FZR 600 did. I am just worried and anal since this is a NEW bike, and I want it to last a long time. Already did all the maintainance recommended in the tech sections, and am ready to ride more, as long as this is normal. I already have about 3 hours on it of moderate mostly flat trail riding.

• MotoGreg

Posted April 17, 2000 - 04:46 PM

The carb slide makes a rattling noise at idle, that is probably part of it.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted April 20, 2000 - 08:15 PM

My '00 rattled a a lot I thought when new, but smoothed way out after rejetting and engine break in. Check the setting posts,jetting section and archives. It should be fine after break in and some fine tuning with the carb. It will be even faster!!hahahahahaha. Seriously it's bad for your engine to rattle especially if your lean, rejet right away. But it will smooth out after 50 or so miles, be nice to it until at least then. Maybe we can help with recommendations for jetting(or at least the 98/99'ers out there).

Also tighten ALL bolts to spec including spokes. Not a bad idea to lube the steering head, shock, and swingarm.

Just my $.02 after running lean and practically NO GREASE in any bearing or pivot point when new.

• RodH

Posted April 20, 2000 - 11:13 PM

I had an XR400 before the WR, and it was heaps quieter in the engine department, I was told that this normal for an engine with the stroke and piston height such as the WR.

------------------
R o d. H. Canberra, Australia400 Thumpers Australia
Almost a 2000' WR400

• JamesD

Posted April 21, 2000 - 05:08 AM

A short stroke motor with 5 valves is bound to make more noise than a long stroke 4 valve motor. And keep in mind the XR has a lower compression ratio and is tuned milder in general.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.