Missing Shifts - 1st to 2nd

11 replies to this topic
  • bg10459

Posted July 09, 2007 - 06:01 AM

My bike seems to be developing a shifting problem. I've searched, but most of the similar problems have been happening to new bikes and getting better as time goes on. Some suggest that lowering your shifter may help, but this is a new problem for me and it's getting worse.
Yesterday I had tons of missed shifts between 1st and 2nd; hitting neutral and having a real hard time getting into 2nd. After 2nd, up shifts aren't a problem. I've got about 1500-2000 miles on my bike and have been using Rotella T for most of that time. I change the oil every ride, so it was definitely fresh.
Any help is greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

• xr250ryder

Posted July 09, 2007 - 10:42 AM

Are you sure you lifting your foot up all the way? I know this is a stupid question but some people just tap it and it will hit neutral, just give it a firm shift up and see if it still hits. If it still hits neutral move the shifter around until it feels good to you. Hope that helps.

• bg10459

Posted July 09, 2007 - 11:08 AM

I've been riding this bike for 3 years with very few problems. This is a recent issue and was the worst it's ever been yesterday. It just seems like it's getting harder to shift from 1st to 2nd.

• BIGMatt

Posted July 09, 2007 - 03:45 PM

I have the same problem on my '04, since day-1. It happens shifting up or down. At first I thought I had a lazy foot. Now I make sure to really pull up with my toe to make sure I dont miss. But sometimes it misses anyway, and cannot get into 2nd unless I unload the tranny by rolling fwd or bkwds in neutral or with clutch in. I happens more often on tight single track when really lugging the motor. And it happens at the worst times when Im trying to get momentum or power up a hill or step up. It really sucks when it happens, and I always loose my balance beucase Im expecting a power surge, but the bike goes limp. I think it is just a bad design of the 1-N-2 section of the shifting cam. Never had a problem on my old Honda 2-smoke.
I guess you just have to deal with it, or shift more carefully, or double shift and double clutch when going through the 1-N-2 gears. If I ever split my cases, then Ill look into it, otherwise I just deal with it.

• xr250ryder

Posted July 10, 2007 - 09:28 AM

I've only had it happen once or twice and I'm pretty sure it was operator error. That was when I first switched to it though. I don't really know how to help you though. Does this happen on the 07 WR?

• GCannon

Posted July 10, 2007 - 10:34 AM

If the problem is getting worse you may consider tearing apart the transmission before it explodes. This could save you a ton of money$$$$! Think about a broken of cracked case if it jams.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rodeoripper75

Posted July 10, 2007 - 01:18 PM

I Had The Same Problem With My 07 Wr450f But I Adjusted The Shifter Up One Or Two Notches Cause I Have Big Feet And When It Was Perfect At Times It Was Hard To Shift. I Ride Hard And Try And Keep Up With My Buddy Whos Been Riding 26yrs, Ive Been Riding For 1yr And Im Keeping Up Very Well But He Also Had The Same Prob With His 06 Ktm 525 So That Does Bring Up The Question Of Is It Just Newer Bikes Or Lazy Feet? And I Thought It Was Just Us Im Glad Were Not The Only Ones.

• story_rtw

Posted July 11, 2007 - 09:26 AM

My bike seems to be developing a shifting problem. I've searched, but most of the similar problems have been happening to new bikes and getting better as time goes on. Some suggest that lowering your shifter may help, but this is a new problem for me and it's getting worse.
Yesterday I had tons of missed shifts between 1st and 2nd; hitting neutral and having a real hard time getting into 2nd. After 2nd, up shifts aren't a problem. I've got about 1500-2000 miles on my bike and have been using Rotella T for most of that time. I change the oil every ride, so it was definitely fresh.
Any help is greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

My 2005 with 2000+ miles seems to have recently developed similar symptoms. I'm guessing it's a worn clutch and/or notched clutch basket. A notched basket can cause clunky shifts and the symptoms might be worse in lower gears around neutral. I'd suggest checking your clutch first since it's simple to do.

Let us know what you find!

Story

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 11, 2007 - 11:40 AM

Does this happen on the 07 WR?

No, at least it hasn't happened on mine. If anything its hard to get into neutral :thumbsup: A click up from 1st slams it into 2nd and a tap down from 2nd slams it into first. Lets just say I can find neutral easier with my bare feet (or hand) than I can with shoes or boots. Hopefully it'll get better w/ mileage, the notchy shifting that it had when it was new is almost all gone.:thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 11, 2007 - 11:50 AM

I've got about 1500-2000 miles on my bike and have been using Rotella T for most of that time. I change the oil every ride, so it was definitely fresh.

The Rotella T wouldn't cause this. If anything, it would make the shifting action and clutch smoother like it did on my TT-R.

Do you shift clutchless?

• bg10459

Posted July 11, 2007 - 12:56 PM

My 2005 with 2000+ miles seems to have recently developed similar symptoms. I'm guessing it's a worn clutch and/or notched clutch basket. A notched basket can cause clunky shifts and the symptoms might be worse in lower gears around neutral. I'd suggest checking your clutch first since it's simple to do.

Let us know what you find!

Story

I actually just replaced my clutch cover, so I took a quick look at the basket right before this last race. I didn't give it a thorough inspection, but I didn't notice any notching. I suppose the clutch could be wearing so I'll take a look at that, but the free play at the lever is good and I don't notice any slipping.

The Rotella T wouldn't cause this. If anything, it would make the shifting action and clutch smoother like it did on my TT-R.

Do you shift clutchless?

My reference to Rotella was just to explain that my issue wasn't related to a switch in oils or the need for an oil change.
I occasionally shift clutchless, but only upshifts in higher gears.

• bg10459

Posted July 14, 2007 - 05:12 AM

I think I found the problem. :busted: :thumbsup: It looks like my shifter was a little bent and slightly rubbing on the case only in 1st and 2nd. Once in 3rd and above the lever would pull away just enough to miss the case and shift smooth. Since I put the shifter in a vise and bent it out a bit it seems to shift smooth again, but that's by hand on the stand. I'll take it for a test ride tomorrow. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.