My xr600r is a bit hard to start

3 replies to this topic
  • mexlas

Posted July 08, 2007 - 11:56 PM

Hello all,
I just picked up a 1996 XR600R with a baja kit and plated for California today and I am having a tough time starting it. when i picked it up the owner started it with flip flops on and only kicked it 2 times. He moved the choke and kicked it once and moved choke again and it was running. I may be doing something wrong. On my carb there are 3 choke settings. I got it started on the while choke was in the middle and if I moved the lever down to the bottom it would run but die out. Is the normal running position for the choke in the middle? I would like to add a slip on pipe to get more power due to its stock status and would like to know the best setup for low noise and power gain and easier starting. I keep readind about uncorking...Whats that?

Thanks

• exaresix

Posted July 09, 2007 - 09:16 AM

Full choke, and turn the idle speed knob in about a full turn. NO throttle, put right hand over brake reservior to assure this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Eurobiker

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:53 AM

First thing is to understand your choke settings. All the way down= No choke. First click up is 1/2 choke, all the way up is full choke. As mentioned, put it on full choke and give it 3-4 priming kicks to get some fuel in the chamber. Don't touch the throttle. Find Top Dead Center by kicking through until you feel the resistance of the compression stroke. Go past this about an inch. Return kicker to up right position and kick it like you mean it. It should fire. Once you get the hang of the "Procedure" you too will be able to start it in flip flops. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• mvpct

Posted July 10, 2007 - 11:30 AM

Ya, make sure you start at top dead center or youll wear out your leg.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.