Getting Colorado license plate.

3 replies to this topic
  • JamesD

Posted April 19, 2000 - 09:41 PM

I tried to license my WR today and got turned away.

They insisted the bill of sale had to say the bike was for off road use only and that I needed to have the VIN verified at one of the state inspection centers. First I ever heard of either of those conditions but that's what they said they needed to title the bike.

Lucy me I had to drive 50 miles to the dealer I bought it from and then all he could do was write a letter on the shop letterhead stating it was sold for off road use only.

I still have to get the VIN verified before I can go back but once I have that, all I have to do is sign a form that says I've made the vehicle meet the list of conditions listed on the back and show proof of insurance. They don't inspect the bike to make sure I actually modified it.

Anyway, here the requirements listed on the form.

front --------------------

These documents must be submitted with the DR 2686;

A Completed DR 2411, "Verification of Vehicle Identification Number."

Proof of Ownership, (one of the following):
Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO)
Bill of Sale (stating sold as off-road)
Dealers Invoice

The following two wheel off-road motorcycle has been converted to a motorcycle eligible for highway use. The equipment listed on the back of this form is present and in proper repair on this vehicle.

Vehicle Trade Name_____ Model Number_____
I certify, under penalty of perjury in the second degree, that the above statements are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.

back -------------

Head Lamps
At least one and not more than two head lamps. Every head lamp shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches or less than 24 inches.

Tail and Stop Lamps and Reflectors
At least one tail lamp, one stop lamp and one reflex reflector. Such lamps and reflectors may be incorporated in a single unit and shall be at a height measured from the center of the lamp of not more than 73 inches or less than 15 inches.
Note: Head lamps, tail and stop lamps must be equivalent to lamps used as original equipment on motorcycles manufactured for highway use.

At least one brake which may be operated by hand or foot.

Horn must be in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions for a distance of not less than 200 feet.

An adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise.

A mirror so located and so constructed to reflect to the rider a free and unobstructed view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motorcycle.

Equipped with tires designed for highway use.

Motive Power (Must have at least 50 c.c. Less is motorized bicycle and cannot be titled.)
Shall have motive power adequate to propel the vehicle at speeds which will not interfere with the normal flow of traffic.

• JamesD

Posted April 19, 2000 - 09:50 PM

Ok, after reading this list I can legally title and license a WR if I add the following:

A rear reflector, a mirror, a switch/wiring to activate the brake light, a horn and DOT approved tires.

The only question would be with the statement that "Head lamps, tail and stop lamps must be equivalent to lamps used as original equipment on motorcycles manufactured for highway use." Now, does that mean I have to have hi/lo beam headlights or just lights that aren't too small or too dim.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted April 20, 2000 - 12:36 AM

Dude, not sure why you got turned away unless they are starting to get stricter on giving out license plates. What county are you in. I live in Douglas County and the day I picked it up I took the MSO, Bill of Sale, and Certificate of Ownership (which states right on it "for offroad use only") to the county and picked up my plates and title with no questions asked. I wonder if they are cracking down.

Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

• JamesD

Posted April 20, 2000 - 06:22 AM

I live in Douglas county. I must have ended up with by the book Betty or something.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.