I'm confused...high output stator

4 replies to this topic
  • calgaryfiddy

Posted July 08, 2007 - 09:38 PM

Ok i'm a little lost here.

I bought Rage headlight, going to run 2 - 50w halogens and 2 - 25w halogens.

So i need 150 watts to power it up on high beam, plus my front filament type signals and my led integrated tail/brake/signal light.

So do i get a 200w stator ?? Or a dual 100w stator, is it a simple connection pop the old one out unplug connector, plug in factory type connector from high output stator and be done with it ??

Do i need a separate regulator/rectifier for the 2nd 100w output ??

What do i need to do to run my setup ?

• cleonard

Posted July 08, 2007 - 09:45 PM

You can do it either way. Most of the high output stators allow for the outputs to be combined into a single 200 watt system. You will need a high capacity regulator. The current from the high output coil can fry the stock regulator. If you go with a single 200 watt setup you may have to upgrade the wiring. There have been reports of melted wires and connectors when trying to run 200 watts (18 amps) through the wimpy 16 or 18 gauge stock wiring.

I run mine as two separate systems. The reason is reliability. If something goes wrong with a single 200 watt setup, it gets dark quick. Been there done that. Nothing like sudden blackness on a mountain single track at night. If you run two separate systems a problem on one half should not effect the other side. I have a dual sport kit. One coil runs a 90/110 H4 bulb headlight in AC mode. The other coil runs the dual sport kit and some aux headlights and uses a DC regulator. Each half needs a regulator or regulator rectifier.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • calgaryfiddy

Posted July 09, 2007 - 04:38 PM

So you can use more wattage than the stator is rated for ?? A 110 bulb would need 110 watts. So is your light just slightly dim ?

I'll get a split output stator. But again will i have to rewire the system. Right now everything runs off of the single output of the stock stator. So when i plug in the new one i have to hard wire one side to the stock harness to run the the existing signals/brake/tail that are on there now.

Then separately hard wire the 2nd output through a regulator/rectifier to the high beams ??

• cleonard

Posted July 09, 2007 - 06:13 PM

Since a H4 is a single bulb it will overheat if you run both filaments at the same time. Some do this, but I don't want the added chance of failure.

I run one coil with an AC regulator to the headlight. My stator is good for about 120 or so watts from each coil. It does 110 with no problem. Due to the way that a permanent magnet alternator works it is basically a current source. My stator is good for about 10 amps on each coil. The voltage is dependent on the RPM of the engine. It does dim at idle because the RPMs are too low to make 12 volts. In my experiments the dimming is about the same if I have a 60 watt bulb or the 110 that I have now.

The other coil goes to a DC regulator that runs the dual sport kit. I run an automotive fog lamp off of that. It is really small and doesn't focus well. It just throws light in all directions. That is just what I wanted. The headlight does great straight ahead, but not so well off to the side. I unplug this if I ride on the road at night. Too much light into oncoming traffic.

The simple thing is to just run a single 200 watt setup. A little more complicated would be to run the 2 50 watters on one coil and everything else on the other.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted June 29, 2008 - 09:16 AM

Since a H4 is a single bulb it will overheat if you run both filaments at the same time. Some do this, but I don't want the added chance of failure.

I run one coil with an AC regulator to the headlight. My stator is good for about 120 or so watts from each coil. It does 110 with no problem. Due to the way that a permanent magnet alternator works it is basically a current source. My stator is good for about 10 amps on each coil. The voltage is dependent on the RPM of the engine. It does dim at idle because the RPMs are too low to make 12 volts. In my experiments the dimming is about the same if I have a 60 watt bulb or the 110 that I have now.

The other coil goes to a DC regulator that runs the dual sport kit. I run an automotive fog lamp off of that. It is really small and doesn't focus well. It just throws light in all directions. That is just what I wanted. The headlight does great straight ahead, but not so well off to the side. I unplug this if I ride on the road at night. Too much light into oncoming traffic.

The simple thing is to just run a single 200 watt setup. A little more complicated would be to run the 2 50 watters on one coil and everything else on the other.

Thanks for the post!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.