Mobil 1 (auto vs Motorcycle oil?)Yes there is a difference

5 replies to this topic
  • Nathan_In_So_Cal

Posted April 18, 2000 - 06:08 PM

Check out this link to answer your questions http://www.mobil.com...ycle/index.html

------------------
Nathan Apelbaum
99 WR400F
97 YZF1000
99 400EX
95 RA1100

• Nathan_In_So_Cal

Posted April 18, 2000 - 06:09 PM

forgot to say see the FAQ ....

• mcarp

Posted April 18, 2000 - 06:40 PM

I just don't see the point in running expensive oils. I change mine so often, I know the oil has not broken down much, it's just dirty and the dirt particles will cause more damage than anything else. I am glad Castrol GTX fared well, that's what I run in all my bikes/cars.

One "bad" dealer (one that has given me crappy advice before) gave me the sob story about how great HP4 and spectro are, but they are just trying to sell the high profit goods. They also told me to not worry about bleeding my brakes until my lever hits the bars. Geez, if I waited that long, I would be in a casket, guys. What a--holes! Yes, they even said, "you aren't going to run castrol are you?" (no kidding) My "good" dealer advises to check/change the oil often, and stay away from friction reducing additives, regardless of the bike. They also remarked that the brand of oil isn't as important as frequent changes, and while they sold the good stuff, still steered me away from them. This was the owner of the shop, too.

Also DEFINATELY stay away from synthetics until the bike has at least 500 miles on it. More for street bikes. I personally won't run synth on the Wr ever.

Just mt $.02, whatever it's worth.
MC

'00 Yamaha WR400
'84 Honda Nighthawk 700S
'84 Honda ATC200 (garage floor weight)
'93 Chevy Blazer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 19, 2000 - 06:48 AM

The marketing hype for motorcycle oil continues...

For all the WR owners on this forum, I suspect that just about every car and motorcycle oil type has been run in a WR. The question is:

Has anyone had the dreaded "CLUTCH SLIPPAGE" attributed to car oils? :)

I have run Castrol GTX "car oil" and Mobil 1 "car oil" in my '99 WR. I change the oil frequently (~50 to 100 miles). I have not had a clutch slippage problem.

Just curious,
Eric in WA

• Nathan_In_So_Cal

Posted April 19, 2000 - 02:15 PM

Eric .....
I had a KTM LC4 600 EX/C and when I ran automotive Castrol Syntec in it guess what? :) Clutch slippage! It went away shortly after I Put Maxima (maxum 4)in it :D
So FWIW Im not going to run automotive oil in my WR400 or any of my other bikes.

------------------
Nathan Apelbaum
99 WR400F
97 YZF1000
99 400EX
95 RA1100

• MotoGreg

Posted April 19, 2000 - 07:11 PM

I've never had a clutch problem on a bike using car synthetic oil. I had one bike that I put 46,000 miles on the original clutch by the time I sold it. My current bike has a built up 1100 with major torque and there is no clutch problem. Supposedly the difference is additives to prevent the breakdown of the oil caused by the transmission gears. You should change your oil every 2 or 3 rides on a wr anyway so that isn't a problem.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.