07 XR650R break-in questions...

17 replies to this topic
  • hondacrf150f1

Posted July 08, 2007 - 03:17 PM

just picked up my 07 XR650R beginning of the week and have started to do some heat cycles to break it in. Ive got 10 miles on it so far and have notest that after reving it slightly the RPM's stay up for quiet some time. If i slowly role on maby a quarter throttle, then let off there is no pull-back what so ever? Its just chugs along and the RPM's stay up? Just because of all the brand new stuff or what?

Ill also be installing a Vapor Computer, baja designs kit and acerbis stuffs as soon as possible! Here in CT im pritty sure i can get it plated.

Good to finally be a part of the BRP club:thumbsup: I cant believe you guys call this thing a pig, its light and flickable as hell:ride:

• rm298z

Posted July 08, 2007 - 04:30 PM

Sweet, where are you in CT?

I just bought a 01 XRR a month ago and put a baja designs kit on it. Good luck getting it plated, I did not feel like jumping through the hoops here in mass at the RMV so I bought one from Jersey that had a street title. If you are going to ride roads any amount at all get street tires. I just got a set of bridgestone battlaxs for the stock rims, they stick really well the bike is so much fun in the twisties. I've been doing a lot of riding on the back roads of north western CT.

The thumpertalk store was the cheapest place I could find the Baja kit, it was like $440 then if you use the 10% new member coupon its like another $40 off. If you are low on money $10 walmart mountain bike speedos also work good but don't mount quite as clean as the higher end ones.

• Big Red Paul

Posted July 08, 2007 - 05:13 PM

Congrats with your new bike, welcome to the club.

It is probably the throttle cables causing the revs to stay up when you back off the throttle. Happen on mine when it was new. Annoying, but seems to go away after a while.

Have fun on that bike, ride safe.

• 2002brp

Posted July 08, 2007 - 05:50 PM

All new XR650Rs do this untill broken in. The revs stay up a little when the throttle is backed off. This was a little annoying to me at first but it simply went away.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 08, 2007 - 05:56 PM

[quote name='rm298z']Sweet, where are you in CT?

I just bought a 01 XRR a month ago and put a baja designs kit on it. Good luck getting it plated, I did not feel like jumping through the hoops here in mass at the RMV so I bought one from Jersey that had a street title. If you are going to ride roads any amount at all get street tires. I just got a set of bridgestone battlaxs for the stock rims, they stick really well the bike is so much fun in the twisties. I've been doing a lot of riding on the back roads of north western CT.[QUOTE]

Where in Mass do you live? I bought my bike from North's Services in Lenox, my dads bein buying from them for 20 years so i new he would give me a good deal. I live in Salisbury CT, (Northwest ct)

• rm298z

Posted July 09, 2007 - 08:04 AM

[quote name='hondacrf150f1'][quote name='rm298z']Sweet, where are you in CT?

I just bought a 01 XRR a month ago and put a baja designs kit on it. Good luck getting it plated, I did not feel like jumping through the hoops here in mass at the RMV so I bought one from Jersey that had a street title. If you are going to ride roads any amount at all get street tires. I just got a set of bridgestone battlaxs for the stock rims, they stick really well the bike is so much fun in the twisties. I've been doing a lot of riding on the back roads of north western CT.[QUOTE]

Where in Mass do you live? I bought my bike from North's Services in Lenox, my dads bein buying from them for 20 years so i new he would give me a good deal. I live in Salisbury CT, (Northwest ct)[/QUOTE]

I'm in the Southwick, ma area. Last weekend I went up around heartland ct and sandisfield mass. Didn't go as far west as you are.

• HawkGT

Posted July 09, 2007 - 08:39 AM

When I bought my (used) XR650R it had a hanging idle. It had nothing to do with the throttle cables. It was its poorly jetted pilot circuit. Lean pilot circuits are a common cause of hanging idles.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:21 AM

ok ive now got 21 miles on the bike and have another comment/question.

I was going along in 1st nice and easy rolling up to a friend and i pulled in the clutch right before i stopped. As soon as the clutch was pulled in the bike started to rev?! I mean 3-4 thousand RPM rev. I let the clutch out and procceded slow in 1st gear and the RPM's went down. This has now happend twice. And its much more extreme than the pulling in 2nd or 3rd. Its always after i pull the clutch in.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :busted:

Any thoughts?
thanx

• slider BRP

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:58 AM

i also just bout a new xr650r but i got the 06 i noticed the rpms going to. i was just going to get the first 100 or so miles on it before i really worried about the bike. kinda like a new kid everytime they cough u want to run them to the doctors. i say take it easy the first 100 or so and see what comes from it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resslera

Posted July 10, 2007 - 03:43 PM

The hanging revs are absolutely comman and normal on this bike when new. Mine did it when I had it corked up. To fix it I had to turn the idle down. I mean down unti it sounded close to cutting out but it ceased to happen again. Then when I uncorked it never happened again even when I bumped the idle back up a little. I think it is the extremely lean condition of idle circuit perhaps?

• HawkGT

Posted July 10, 2007 - 04:14 PM

....I think it is the extremely lean condition of idle circuit perhaps?

:thumbsup:

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 11, 2007 - 07:35 AM

ok thanx for everything guys, i quess ill just keep riding it and chime in later if its still a problem after break-in.

• bigtooth

Posted July 11, 2007 - 07:42 AM

I've been constantly playing with my idle screw to find that sweet spot. I have an '03 and its uncorked with the 68s/175 setup, sometimes my idle is to low and somtimes its to high, it really seems to depend on the temp of the bike. But it doesn't sound extreme as your condition. I didnt get my bike new so I can't offer any advice about break in, but I would say uncork ASAP.

• spotsboss

Posted July 12, 2007 - 11:24 AM

Hondacrf,

1. Uncork it (www.xr650r.us)

2. If your jetting is right, it will start O.K. with the choke on (no throttle). You shouldn't have to increase the rpms with the screw that tightens the throttle cable. If this is set too high, it will cause the rpms to hang.

Using the idle screw (on the cable), try decreasing your revs, after warmup, down to as low as possbile without killing the engine. This cured the hanging and surging revs for me.

:thumbsup:

• dick757

Posted July 13, 2007 - 02:39 AM

same thing
uncork it
break it in
my 06 was the same thing, and I just rebuilt it and it happened again
broke in again and the revs are staying more even
Good Luck

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 13, 2007 - 08:25 AM

I dont wanta be taking the carborator off or re-jetting just yet. Im thinking remove the baffle from the exhaust tip, and replace the air filter and see how i like it.

• vaughn

Posted July 13, 2007 - 09:19 AM

Hanging idle is also affected by the AJCF. See the following link:
http://www.xr650r.bo...r_caruretor.htm

• coreygauthier

Posted April 02, 2008 - 02:36 AM

Hondacrf,

1. Uncork it (www.xr650r.us)

2. If your jetting is right, it will start O.K. with the choke on (no throttle). You shouldn't have to increase the rpms with the screw that tightens the throttle cable. If this is set too high, it will cause the rpms to hang.

Using the idle screw (on the cable), try decreasing your revs, after warmup, down to as low as possbile without killing the engine. This cured the hanging and surging revs for me.

:prof:

I have an 06 R i had the same problem when the bike was corked. Hard starting....Hanging idle. If i forced it down by loading the engine up with the clutch when i was sitting still it dropped down.

As soon as i uncorked the bike it went away. I still have to play with the idle adjustment scew while the bike is warming up...but i assume this is normal. I had to give the bike a blip of the throttle to get it started before....A sign of a lean idle circuit. Now it starts like i dream. Like everyone else said.....Either put up with it until it's broken in...or uncork it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.