Serious confusion with a 98 WR400

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 17, 2000 - 01:59 PM

Alright my father owns a dirtbike shop. So a WR 400 comes in with a problem that we can't figure out. The problem is that the will not run once you shut off the choke. The bike will start normally but once it is warmed up and ready to go and you shut off the choke it stalls. The freaky thing is is that is stalls right out with no sputtering. My only idea is that there is something caught in the air passage to the main circuit in the caberator. I hope someone can help me out. Thanks.....

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 17, 2000 - 05:05 PM

Check out Yamaha Tech Exchange M98-009. The description is "will not idle at any setting, check the adjustment of the throttle shaft".

If have a scanned copy that I can email you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clark_Mason

Posted April 17, 2000 - 06:27 PM

Also check the alignment of the throttle shaft with the end of the idle adjustment stop. The throttle shaft can be mis alignted horizontally and miss the end of the adjustment stop! So when you come off the choke circuit it transitions to a totally closed throittle. The throttle shaft horizontal slack is taken out via the set screw which holds the slide pickup arm under the carb top cover. The slide pickup arm is used to set the shaft end play.

• Bryan

Posted April 17, 2000 - 06:34 PM

Brian, is that the scanned copy you sent me a long time ago and I've yet to post it due to being way busy?
Oops! :)
I hope to get it on this week.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 18, 2000 - 12:51 PM

That be the one. I thought about telling him to ask you for it :)

I figured, nah, Bryan's doing such a great job with everything else on the site that I wouldn't push my luck.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.