What do i have to do to make a wr road legal in canada?

8 replies to this topic
  • Vinny2692

Posted July 08, 2007 - 11:46 AM

Ok, im in ontario, and i was wondering what i have to do to make a wr street legal. Im actually in madoc, and here, quads are road legal (not street legal), so maybe i dont need to do much modifications. Do i need turn signals? Any input would be apreciated, thank you.

• gelean01

Posted July 08, 2007 - 01:57 PM

Hey Man! I made my 05'wr450 street legel this spring and used it on the street for two weeks then took all the necessary street legel parts off. What you need is Signals, 12 volt flasher relay, Horn, brake light switch, wiring harness or run your own wires. You also need, although I didn't use a mirror and low/high beam headlight and dot approved tires(there are DOT knobbes!).
These are requirements for any road vehicles here in Winnipeg,MB.

• Vinny2692

Posted July 08, 2007 - 03:47 PM

thanks. How much did all of the stuff to make it legal cost? Was it hard to do?

• mikebarr

Posted July 08, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Check this link at ODSC.
http://www.odsc.on.c...topic.php?t=832

I just got my o3 wr safetied a couple of weeks ago but it was already "Blue Plated".
I read that it is getting difficult to blue plate a bike with the MTO if it was previously off road use only. I can't find the like right know but it was somewhere on ODSC.

I put the following on my bike to get it safetied. I think the previous owner had it saftied with a 100 bucks and a bottle of booze or took all the stuff off.

Mirror and mount about $20
Brake switches (banjo bolt style) $15 each
Horn $12
Licence plate light $9
Dot Tires-came with the bike but about $70 to get them mounted (seemed expensive to me)

Other things I did but don't believe I had to
Turn signals LED $35 a pair I think
LED flasher $20
Chain guard -used $30
Horn signal switch - used $35

Hi/low beam seems a bit of a grey area. Although it doesn't seem to be a requirement in the traffic act one mechanic told me the MTO guys say it is. I didn't have to do it. I think the stator would have to be modified and regulator upgraded if the high beam is used.
Mine already had a speedo off an old bike. Never looked into if one is required.
Call around your area and find out what shops are looking for.

Oh....I also did the wiring myself. Stock wiring diagrams are on the web. I also found wiring for an XT225 that had diagrams with signals horns etc. I left the headlight and tailight on AC. Turn signals and horn are off the battery.

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gelean01

Posted July 09, 2007 - 01:09 PM

Hey Vinny, I almost forgot! Well I did forget, There is one more thing you need and that is a speedometer. I bought a speedo that plugs directly into your hub where your odometer plugs in. The speedo that I bought was $150.00, although if you like you can throw a magnetic pedal bike speedo on for around $25.00. One more thing if your interested, a YZ fender and an LED tail light with licence plate holder $50.00 makes my 05'WR look way cooler and more like a newer model WR.
Sigs 4-$80.00 lockhart philips.
horn 1-$10.00

• gelean01

Posted July 09, 2007 - 01:21 PM

Hey Vinny, I almost forgot! Well I did forget, There is one more thing you need and that is a speedometer. I bought a speedo that plugs directly into your hub where your odometer plugs in. The speedo that I bought was $150.00, although if you like you can throw a magnetic pedal bike speedo on for around $25.00. One more thing if your interested, a YZ fender and an LED tail light with licence plate holder $50.00 makes my 05'WR look way cooler and more like a newer model WR.
Sigs 4-$80.00 lockhart philips.
horn 1-$10.00
Swith(multi) 1-$60.00
speedo 1-$150.00
Hydraulic brake switch 1-$20.00
Flasher relay 1- $12.00
Fender and Led 1-$50.00
Made up my own wiring harness with Butt connectors.
Fuse any links off Battery 10amp fuse.
Key swith $25.00 optional/ Takes place of push button ignition switch.
Total approx. $400.00
If I can figure out how to throw a pic of my schematics that I have made up I will post them. Makes it easy to do.

• Vinny2692

Posted July 11, 2007 - 05:20 PM

Hey thanks for all the info everyone. Now ive got a pretty good idea of what im getting into.:thumbsup:

• kenny1234

Posted July 12, 2007 - 12:36 AM

you guys have it tough man i m in england just got my 07 road legal by adding horn and dipped switch for headlight then applied for licence no checks nothing sooooooo easy here

• B-Rock

Posted July 12, 2007 - 08:12 AM

Just a couple notes:

I had to have both mirrors on to pass the safety, but you only need one to ride legally on the road.

DOT tires is a biggy. You can get them really aggressive though, so dont worry. The stock dunlops just shred apart on the pavement.

Be careful when you mount your right-rear signal that you dont put it in front of the exhaust.... I melted my first one!

You may have to up your fuse too. I kept blowing mine with all the extra stuff pulling power.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.