Is this WR too big?

24 replies to this topic
  • gbernard

Posted April 18, 2000 - 12:20 PM

TRY LOWERING THE FOOT PEGS,A LITTLE BIT MAKES A DIFFERANCE.

• Dougie

Posted April 18, 2000 - 04:08 PM

I enjoy Rampart more than WP. Rampart allows for an all out attack on almost every trail. And I actually like all the woops. I love to wheelie over them at high speed. And now with my Race Tech suspension, I can cruise right over the top if I want. WP is fun too but it is farther away. The only bad thing about Rampart is it can get crowded on the weekends. Greatly increasing your head on collision chances. I can get from Parker to Rampart in about 50 minutes. WP is about 90 minutes. Plus I know Rampart like the back of my hand. While the trails are relatively easy to intermediate, there are many twists and turns that you can take in 2cd and 3rd gears. And if you want expert trail, well there is the hardest trail I have ever riden out there. I do it once a year and everytime I say I am done with it, never again. Many a people have ditched bikes and walked out of it spent and dejected. But I always end up doing it again. Sounds like you can cruise right down Santa Fe to Rampart in about 40 minutes. I'd be up for a ride Friday afternoon around 3pm if you can make it. I'm going to give YZ timing one more shot and see if I like it at Rampart. If not, then it is back to WR timing for me.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan

Posted April 18, 2000 - 04:13 PM

Dougie! You keep scaring me about that expert trail by the Sprucewood (I assume that's what you are talking about). You have me so psyched out I'll never want to try it.

Is it steep? Up? Down? Loose? All of the above?

Bryan...

• Dougie

Posted April 18, 2000 - 05:09 PM

All of the above and more. The real scary thing about it is that if you don't know about it and miss that left handed switchback down to the river, you end up on this trail by accident and then it is too late.

It starts out normal enough but then you start a very long and steep decline on nothing but jagged rocks. There are many switchbacks (some you have to get off the bike and swing the rear wheel). Then you do a couple of miles of wheel width muddy single track through the brush. Then you come to a fork. The left is a little easier but it is rocky and has a Moab type of ridge climb. The right is just the steepest loosest hill from hell. Probably a multiple attempter. Then there is more brush and rocks.

It is a loop and it will turn you around. If you pick the wrong direction at the end of the loop, you do it all over again and then death is probably only a few minutes away :)

It actually is nothing that you haven't ridden before, it is just that is every nasty thing you have ridden all in one trail from hell. It beats your physically then calls you little girl names.

I'd be happy to take you through it sometime. It will be my one and only attempt this year.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

• JamesD

Posted April 18, 2000 - 05:26 PM

Rampart has a trail from hell??? Ooooo... I want to go! Let me get some time on the bike before you guys go on it so I can go with!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.