My 2002 R1 Taillight mod - Xr650R

2 replies to this topic
  • calgaryfiddy

Posted July 07, 2007 - 06:58 PM

I switched from my black ufo fender to my stock red fender since i knew i had to trim it to make it work...heres how it went.

The taillight is fairly wide, i cut the stock fender back almost 4" to get it to sit almost flush with the edges, i was afraid to bob the rear anymore, didn't think i'd like the look. I still sticks out a little bit, but its minimal...the plate is a little crooked, need to straighten it but the drill died so i couldn't slot the holes...not a big deal.

The light is MUCH brighter than the UFO unit, and the signals don't slow down or dim at idle. I'm still going to get a high output stator though.

I did not use the resistors that came with the tail for the signals...they flash at a good rate with the stock stator.

This is a clear alternatives light...i think they use MANY more leds than any other company. As for mounting it and the plate...some little 90* brackets that i found in the shelves in the garage...an old license plate drilled for the license plate bracket which also ties into the tail light, two bolts pull the wires and its unhooked for racing.

I have a CRF450 rear fender on it way, i think it kicks upwards much more than the stock one which is more rainbow shaped, thats the only reason i had to trim it back 4" so you could see the light. With the crf fender hopefully i can tuck it under further so it sits flush with the outer edges and not have to trim the fender.

I'm pretty pumped with how it turned out...

Well a pictures worth a thousand words...here they are... before
Posted Image
Posted Image

And After:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FOUR STOKED

Posted July 07, 2007 - 08:20 PM

That is a super clean modification:thumbsup: LED's don't use much power either. I bet the CRF rear fender will look awesome also. I have got a CRF rear fender on my L with standard bulb taillight, but after seeing that set up I may be changing to the R1 set up. Please post some pictures when you get the CRF rear on:applause: Thanks for sharing.

• calgaryfiddy

Posted July 07, 2007 - 08:38 PM

I just went for a sunset/dusk/night ride. I love it so much. The headlight does still pulse a little with the signals on but they are much brighter. The taillight does not pulse as noticeably, if at all. And i can have a signal light, the high beam and brakes on and they still flash the same rate and the same brightness.

New headlight, bars, and add ons for the handguards should be here this week.

I'm so impressed with the led's i may get the LED signal kit that fits on the ZETA handguards and put them on my powermadds. Maybe a winter project...this running "no project" bike has had enough improvements for a season, let alone my 3 week ownership.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.