Rekluse, Head Mods or Triple Clamps?

11 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted July 07, 2007 - 05:19 PM

If you had to decide, which of these 3 choices would you make first?

1.) Rekluse PRO clutch (I've heard good things)
2.) Head polishing (heard this will improve performance? Yes, I'd like more)
3.) 22mm Triple clamps to improve turning

06 YZ 450

Thanks all! :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted July 07, 2007 - 05:24 PM

I choose:

4.) Send one of each to cowboyona426. He will evaluate all of the products, then let you know which one is the best option. :thumbsup:

What else is done to your bike, what type of riding do you do, and what is your experience level?

• twenty34

Posted July 07, 2007 - 05:30 PM

I choose:

4.) Send one of each to cowboyona426. He will evaluate all of the products, then let you know which one is the best option. :thumbsup:

What else is done to your bike, what type of riding do you do, and what is your experience level?

LOL...Sounds good. :thumbsup:

To date:

-Dr. D
-ZipTy carb mod
-Proper jetting
-Suspension Revalved

95% riding MX track
riding for 30 years - Intermediate 40+ Vet (no racing these days)

• cowboyona426

Posted July 07, 2007 - 05:37 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the rekluse, so I'd probably go with the head mods. I would contact forum member Crogg, he has an 06 with a few things done to it and really likes the way it runs. I think he'd done some head work, but I'm not 100% on that. I know he installed a higher comp piston- that might be cheaper than the head mods and have more bang for the buck.

• twenty34

Posted July 07, 2007 - 06:41 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the rekluse, so I'd probably go with the head mods. I would contact forum member Crogg, he has an 06 with a few things done to it and really likes the way it runs. I think he'd done some head work, but I'm not 100% on that. I know he installed a higher comp piston- that might be cheaper than the head mods and have more bang for the buck.

Ok, thanks.

• bigbluerider4life

Posted July 07, 2007 - 07:37 PM

get a high comp piston or hotcams, you already have a pipe...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2007 - 08:59 PM

Of the three things you listed, head work is what you'd probably be the happiest with. I'd contact Ron Hamp at Ron Hamp Cycles and go with his advice.

A Rekluse has its place, but as a concept, I don't see much benefit for MX. The woods, maybe, but less so on the track.

And, I don't see the '06-7 as having a steering issue that can be addressed by a trail adjustment, particularly after Dubach, and the group of pros who blind tested offsets for Applied, both selected 24mm as their favorite, and 25 is stock. IMO, the cornering would be best improved by a steeper head angle, if any change were made.

But head work done well can be amazingly effective. You could gain 3 hp or more with no loss of valve train reliability (as might be the case with more aggressive cams), or any of the problems associated with higher compression (possible fuel issues). The key is to have it done right. When someone says they can port your head, ask him to show you what he's done. Changing port shapes is a trial and error thing (less so with experience on a particular engine, but still), and it's quite possible that someone could make your ports look really good, and flow less air than a stocker, all at the same time.

The other thing is that it isn't cheap. Figure $700 as a ballpark number for a good job.

• twenty34

Posted July 07, 2007 - 09:26 PM

And, I don't see the '06-7 as having a steering issue that can be addressed by a trail adjustment, particularly after Dubach, and the group of pros who blind tested offsets for Applied, both selected 24mm as their favorite, and 25 is stock. IMO, the cornering would be best improved by a steeper head angle, if any change were made.

So I did a search and have been reading some of prior threads on this topic. Most of the major names that offer triple clamps seem to be selling clamps of the 22mm variety. I also am aware that you are of the opinion that steering on the 06 450 isn't an issue.

I'm trying to make a determination if new offsets will provide the benefit that I'm seeking. Jury is still out, but I have read some encouraging news thus far - most citing 22mm. As an experiment, I tried moving my forks up higher in the clamps today (more than they are) and I wasn't impressed.

B

But head work done well can be amazingly effective. You could gain 3 hp or more with no loss of valve train reliability (as might be the case with more aggressive cams), or any of the problems associated with higher compression (possible fuel issues). The key is to have it done right. When someone says they can port your head, ask him to show you what he's done. Changing port shapes is a trial and error thing (less so with experience on a particular engine, but still), and it's quite possible that someone could make your ports look really good, and flow less air than a stocker, all at the same time.

Yes, this also seems encouraging. I noticed that Pro Circuit is offering the service for $500 from what I remember. I don't have any loyalty at this point as I'm still in the discovery phase, but have heard good things about RHC. The last time I called there, however, nobody picked up the phone so I kinda gave up. Working in the business world leaves me with little tolerance for basic business 101 concepts. Call me crazy, but you get the idea. Then again, most company's in this industry have poor business and customer service skills for the most part (at least the smaller shops that is).

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted July 07, 2007 - 09:39 PM

Rekluse Pro for sure. It will give you the most speed. Those that are not big fans are generally those that have not ridden a properly set up Rekluse IMHO.

• Justin89

Posted July 07, 2007 - 09:53 PM

I would get the tripple clamps. I have the full RG3 set that are 22mm off set and I can tell that it makes a big difference from stock. My riding buddy and good friend has an all stock 06 yz450 and mine turns loads better than his. If not, then I would say the head work. Im not a big fan of Rekluse's IMO...your money though. Good luck!:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2007 - 10:08 PM

... most company's in this industry have poor business and customer service skills for the most part (at least the smaller shops that is).

Yes, unfortunately, the owner/operators of the smaller shops too often find themselves filling too many roles simultaneously, some of which they may not be be that good at. Ron's definitely good with the newest version of the 5 valve head. There are, of course others.

You might look into Big Gun (the exhaust people). At one point, they were doing heads for YZ250Fs that were reaching 40 hp on an otherwise stock engine when used with one of their pipes. I don't think the pipe was a huge factor, but since it was on there, it has to be mentioned.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 08, 2007 - 05:06 AM

Forget the clutch - replace with hinson or GYTR when it is worn out
go with
head work - RHC - pm Ron from TT to get a response
Triple clamps. 22s or 24s not sure yet which is better - looking for real world experience myself - pm me your response when you find out

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.