How long to leave choke on at startup?

18 replies to this topic
  • savannadan

Posted July 07, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Will I hurt anything by idleing on half-choke,for say 5 mins. or more,till it warms up and stops sputtering?Bike is still stock 04' xrl.Owner's manual says excessive use of choke is BAD!! What is the forum's thoughts?What is excessive use?Also,should I turn the fuel petcock off after riding?Any and all info appreciated..:thumbsup:
Thanks,Daniel

• philipstjohn

Posted July 07, 2007 - 04:41 PM

Will I hurt anything by idleing on half-choke,for say 5 mins. or more,till it warms up and stops sputtering?Bike is still stock 04' xrl.Owner's manual says excessive use of choke is BAD!! What is the forum's thoughts?What is excessive use?Also,should I turn the fuel petcock off after riding?Any and all info appreciated..:thumbsup:
Thanks,Daniel

My belief is to turn off the choke on any motor as soon as you can. I have always lived in warm climates, so the choke goes off at start up most times...:thumbsup:

• exaresix

Posted July 07, 2007 - 05:10 PM

This depends on the carb. Some "chokes" are in fact enricheners. An xr600r with standard carb (true choke, 62-68 pilot jet) will run chokeless in a 2-3 minutes. The same bike with a FCR 41 (enrichener choke, 42 pilot jet) takes 8-10 minutes of warmup. As a rule, the larger the pilot jet the less warm up time to no choke. My 2ct.

• gabriel

Posted July 07, 2007 - 07:08 PM

i cold start my xr 650l chokeless all the time.

• martinfan30

Posted July 09, 2007 - 12:58 PM

choke? who uses a choke!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted July 09, 2007 - 01:39 PM

AFAIK, you should turn the choke off as soon as the bike will allow it. The richness caused by choking it can be bad for the engine because of cylinder washing. Basically, a way too rich mixture can "wash" the oil film from the cylinder walls. Sounds strange but it is a genuine phenomenon. I hear about cylinder washing most often in reference to piston aircraft engines (since they have pilot operated a/f mixture control via a knob in the cockpit).

• squatpuke

Posted July 09, 2007 - 04:13 PM

On cold start...I can typically HEAR the engine change it's tune...I take the choke off then. Typically about 10-15 seconds.

• savannadan

Posted July 09, 2007 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the info and advice...:thumbsup:
Daniel

• Kawabuggy

Posted July 18, 2007 - 02:29 PM

I run a 68S pilot jet.. No choke for me-EVER.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXkid714

Posted July 18, 2007 - 03:19 PM

Will I hurt anything by idleing on half-choke,for say 5 mins. or more,till it warms up and stops sputtering?Bike is still stock 04' xrl.Owner's manual says excessive use of choke is BAD!! What is the forum's thoughts?What is excessive use?Also,should I turn the fuel petcock off after riding?Any and all info appreciated..:confused:
Thanks,Daniel

You should only turn the gas off when your done riding for the day. i leave it on when im just taking a brake or eating lunch.

• Denn10

Posted July 19, 2007 - 06:03 AM

This depends on the carb. Some "chokes" are in fact enricheners. An xr600r with standard carb (true choke, 62-68 pilot jet) will run chokeless in a 2-3 minutes. The same bike with a FCR 41 (enrichener choke, 42 pilot jet) takes 8-10 minutes of warmup. As a rule, the larger the pilot jet the less warm up time to no choke. My 2ct.

8-10 minutes to warm up LMAO were talking 650s they dont take 10 minutes to warm up unless your on the north pole. Mine stays on for no more than 30 seconds in winter and prolly 10 in summer.

• butcharin

Posted July 19, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Mine only stays on for maybe 30 sec.

• Motosprtman

Posted July 19, 2007 - 10:28 AM

Will I hurt anything by idleing on half-choke,for say 5 mins. or more,till it warms up and stops sputtering?Bike is still stock 04' xrl.Owner's manual says excessive use of choke is BAD!! What is the forum's thoughts?What is excessive use?Also,should I turn the fuel petcock off after riding?Any and all info appreciated..:confused:
Thanks,Daniel

if it is still stock - it is lean and requires alotta choke cold. Once uncorked I now take mine off choke almost immediately after start and it just sits there and idles while I get my gear on.

• martinfan30

Posted July 19, 2007 - 10:32 AM

:blah: amazing what happens when the are allowed to breath!

• Old Dog

Posted July 22, 2007 - 06:00 PM

I live near the North Pole, and I choke mine for about 10 minutes before it's warmed up (mind you it's only about 1/4 choke, not full). I start the bike with full choke and then within about 2 minutes turn it to about 1/2, jump on it and start riding, and then within 5 minutes I turn it back to about 1/4 choke. By the time I get to the parking lot at work (about 8 to 10 minutes) I turn the choke off. If I turn it off any sooner it sputters and stalls.

I really need to get around to installing my Edelbrock. :blush:

• Huffa 2

Posted July 22, 2007 - 06:25 PM

The NORTH POLE :crazy:

One word comes to mind, well two .........

SNOW/COLD .

Got any geat NP pic's for us to view?

• martinfan30

Posted July 23, 2007 - 10:42 AM

I live near the North Pole, and I choke mine for about 10 minutes before it's warmed up (mind you it's only about 1/4 choke, not full). I start the bike with full choke and then within about 2 minutes turn it to about 1/2, jump on it and start riding, and then within 5 minutes I turn it back to about 1/4 choke. By the time I get to the parking lot at work (about 8 to 10 minutes) I turn the choke off. If I turn it off any sooner it sputters and stalls.

I really need to get around to installing my Edelbrock. :blush:

wow, what you do up there?

• hill5150

Posted July 23, 2007 - 03:30 PM

You don't need the choke.

• Old Dog

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:50 PM

wow, what you do up there?

I work as a Tester/Analyzer for a Northern Telecom company. We've only got around 110.000 customers but our coverage area is HUGE (it's nearly four million square kilometres).

The NORTH POLE

One word comes to mind, well two .........

SNOW/COLD .

Got any geat NP pic's for us to view?

Yessir, you can see some on my website here. The main page has a pic taken June 21st at midnight showing how it's still light out (that's why they call it "the land of the midnight sun").

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.