xr 650 l trail riding

10 replies to this topic
  • pianoexcellence

Posted July 07, 2007 - 03:16 PM

I like to ride my "L" on tight singletrack. :thumbsup:

i know...but I am really tall, and the bike fits me more comfortably than anything else...

Anyways, My question is about overheating. I always hear about liquid cooled bikes spewing on tight trails, so this must mean that tight trails are likely to make a bike overheat.

how do I know if my bike is overheating? Will it just quit for a while. or will it keep going untill the motor siezes....and quit for life:eek:

Thanks all,

pianoexcellence

• gabriel

Posted July 07, 2007 - 07:09 PM

it won't overheat.

• xr650l bum

Posted July 07, 2007 - 07:30 PM

Temp dipstick is ideal just for that reason!

• FOUR STOKED

Posted July 07, 2007 - 08:25 PM

I have had mine get hot enough to bog when throttled before on some tight slow stuff on a very hot day. I think the fuel in the carb was boiling, but not sure. With a free flowing exhaust I have not had the problem since. This only happened with the more restrictive stock exhaust.

• martinfan30

Posted July 09, 2007 - 12:56 PM

you will be fine. just get a temp dipstick.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • squatpuke

Posted July 09, 2007 - 04:15 PM

I got a temp dipstick and normal operating range is 250-270...lower when street riding and fast air is diverting to engine.

On slow, cindery single track, I've got it as high as 300.

Don't know about accuracy...but at least I have the temp dipstick telling me if the engine is hotter than "normal".

• martinfan30

Posted July 09, 2007 - 08:14 PM

if it came from xr's. im sure they dont use crap thermometers, so they are fairly accurate. ive read of guys running 300 degrees on their bikes too no prob. keep in mind that is oil temp and not actual cyl. head temp.

• Bodhisattva

Posted July 09, 2007 - 08:15 PM

I took mine on a 110 mile off road trip in the so cal mtns, saddleback, up to about 6500 feet, very hot day, over 90, and im not a small guy, 240lbs to lug around, and mine dident skip a beat, and it was all sand, rocks, ect. slow going twisties.

• thumper245

Posted July 09, 2007 - 08:46 PM

When I did my test for my license at the DMV I did some practicing before she came out and over did it. When she came out and started the test the bike died and would not start upagain untill it cooled down alittle. That was lugging it in first gear on their course so there was little to almost no air flow.

• pianoexcellence

Posted July 10, 2007 - 09:36 AM

When I did my test for my license at the DMV I did some practicing before she came out and over did it. When she came out and started the test the bike died and would not start upagain untill it cooled down alittle. That was lugging it in first gear on their course so there was little to almost no air flow.

Does anyone know why the bike will stop? Is this a safety mechanism, or does something stop working in the bike? Thanks all

• Motosprtman

Posted July 10, 2007 - 11:51 AM

Does anyone know why the bike will stop? Is this a safety mechanism, or does something stop working in the bike? Thanks all

It won't stop, it won't overheat - just keep the oil and filter fresh, I recommend 20-50W brand and type (synthetic or dino) is up to you.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.