Suspension, How to Adjust it?????

6 replies to this topic
  • Bill

Posted April 14, 2000 - 02:53 AM

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the suspension clickers. What does each one effect? I ride both woods and moto-x. Can I adjust the clickers enought to set up the bike for woods then mx. I don't mind changing them from ride to ride.

I don't want to respring or revalve, I would like to be able to adjust.

86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards.

• Harry_in_Oz

Posted April 14, 2000 - 04:45 AM

Okay Bill the top clickers are for the rebound, the bottom clickers ( under the rubber bungs)are for the compression damping. You need to set the rebound damping first, a change in rebound damping will change the compression damping. Right in is max, the manual tells you how many clicks out is the minimum.
I only use enough rebound dampening to stop the forks from topping out. The standard WR compression dampening may be fine for MX but most riders find that there is too much compression dampening for trail riding. This makes it rough on sharp hits like rocks. If you change the forkoil to Redline "Like Water" oil (98 model) or "Ultra Light"(99 model), then the compression dampening near maximum should suit MX and near middle should suit trail riding. To stop the forks from bottoming with the lower compression damping you need to set the oil levels between 85 and 95 mm depending on your weight. I weigh 105 kg, that is about 230 pounds, and set my oil levels at 90 mm.
You would hardly believe how well these forks can work with the light oil. I suggest that you try the minimum compression damping for trail riding, after setting the rebound damping so that the forks don't extend too quickly while airborne. If you can feel any jaring as the forks hit the stops then there is too little rebound damping. If the forks seem to get lower as you go over a series of bumps then the rebound is too high.

• paul913

Posted April 14, 2000 - 08:27 AM

Something that has always been recommended to me is that you should dedicate a day (2-4 hrs) to get the setting right for your own style of riding. It is amazing how few people are willing to do this. I know the guys on ThumperTalk can get you started, but you should experience it yourself for learning.

Take a small notebook and pencil and be sure to wear all your gear (for weight) and just play with the settings. Suspension, unlike other motor mods, you can test right away. You can also set it right back to where it was – that’s what the paper is for. Record everything and what your opinions are. My suspension guy recommends trying it all the way soft (less on click) then all the way hard (less on click) just for comparison. Of course you will have to do this twice – once for MX the other on trails.

Looking at the time people here on Ttalk spend talking about jetting, I would expect much more discussion about suspension. I’m happier with only 85% performance from the motor, if I can get 95% correct performance from the suspension. I am an odd-ball because of my height and weight, so suspension makes a huge difference for me.

Best of luck. Maybe you could post your findings?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted April 14, 2000 - 09:11 PM

What is your weight?

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted April 14, 2000 - 09:57 PM

On the MX track, it is fairly easy to adjust and tinker w/ your clickers. You want to bottom slightly once or twice per lap AT RACE SPEED. This way, you know you are using your suspension to it's fullest.
Don't forget to set your sag. You want 3.5" - 4" of sag with you aboard and all riding gear. When you have it set, you want to check free sag. This is the sag of the suspension with only the bike, NO rider onboard. If you find the sag is right for you, and the spring preload is fully extending the shock without you on the bike (i.e. free sag) your spring is too weak and you need a firmer spring. Free sag should be about an inch or less.

• paul913

Posted April 14, 2000 - 10:06 AM

What is your weight?

240# and climbing... I just had surgery and I'm suck reading about bikes instead of riding 'em :)

Kevin brings up a crucial point about sag. Start there and don't play with that one.

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 04-14-2000).]

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted April 14, 2000 - 06:37 PM

Get the right springs for your weight, I'm 225 and the stock springs are WAY too soft for MX at our weight. Go to and go through their online suspension set-up program. You can get recommended set ups for Desert/trail riding and MX. Then you can pick the right spring/oil/oil levels to start. I when with MX (heavy springs) I'll just back off the clickers for off road ( or go faster!)

I ended up with a 5.6 spring in the back, up from a 5.0. In the forks I've got .48's, up from .44's. It makes a WORLD of differnce at speed :)

Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.