426 starts w/ hot start only then dies

9 replies to this topic
  • DublinCA

Posted July 07, 2007 - 11:09 AM

Help. I've owned my 02 426 for six months. Started first kick every time and ran great. Now it will only start with the hot start but dies after about 20 seconds. As soon as I push the hot start in it dies as well. Any ideas?

• ben_suhard

Posted July 07, 2007 - 11:30 AM

With the choke on?

• DublinCA

Posted July 07, 2007 - 11:44 AM

No choke at all. Only will start with the hot start alone. I've got a steady drip of fuel from the carb vent tube also. Could it be the float?

• ben_suhard

Posted July 07, 2007 - 11:52 AM

The needle valve may be stuck open, maybe with dirt or whatever(maybe the float's stuck like you mentioned), sometimes a bit of a tap on the side of the carby with a wrench or whatever can get it closed again. If the drip continues, you could take the float bowl off to see if it needs a bit of a clean in there?

• DublinCA

Posted July 07, 2007 - 12:07 PM

So it must be getting too much fuel. Is that why it only starts with the hot start? The hot start is helping lean it out?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted July 07, 2007 - 12:15 PM

Yeah, that's what it sounds like is happening, but I've got no more of an idea than you of what is actually happening, I'm just trying to help out a bit! I do know that it shouldn't be dripping out of the overflow though, so try to get that sorted first if you can.

• DublinCA

Posted July 07, 2007 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 07, 2007 - 12:23 PM

No worries, it may just be a bit gunked up in there. Even my '06 has leaked out the overflow a couple of times lately, it's not unusual.

• DublinCA

Posted July 07, 2007 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the help Ben. Got it running great! Get to ride tomorrow!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!

• ben_suhard

Posted July 07, 2007 - 07:50 PM

No worries, it's good to hear you got it sorted out. Do you know what it was, just the float stuck? Enjoy your ride! Another thing I was going to mention is that the needle valve(it works with the float to allow and stop gas entering the bowl) can eventually wear out, but I don't know how common that is on bikes.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.