Trail Rider review 2000 WR400F

4 replies to this topic
  • William

Posted April 12, 2000 - 09:17 PM

Well they gave it a good review, a few small things they would change, but overall they really liked it and they tested it in Costa Rica which has terrain just like hawaii, tight, rocky, roots, mud and so on and that is were i live, as a matter of fact i go dirt riding right out my driveway over 500 miles of trails and i don't even have to load up, life is good. As a matter of fact i went riding after work for two hours to test motogreg set up and it works, yea.

But anyway at the end of the write up it said , the only thing the WR and that was it, i looked all over the mag. for more none to be found, so i called trail rider and said what happened, he told me it was left out by the printer, then over the phone he read me the rest of and it said, WR was lacking was a ele. start not real important because one it starts easy and two ele. starts are not the most important thing on a four banger yet, but if it becomes one yamaha will have to follow the times.

• TW

Posted April 13, 2000 - 04:17 AM

They also left out that it was to loud and that yamaha should follow suit of the other manufacturers on making a pipe that gives full performance without the noise. I agree, as loud bikes are a problem and cause problems on public lands.

99 WR400

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JamesD

Posted April 13, 2000 - 07:25 AM

The comments from people in the Dirt Rider review sounded like some people chose the KTM over the WR just because of the electric start. Some of the riders had actually chosen the WR as the best bike.

I agree on the exhaust. KTM has done a good job in this department. But then again, their pipes have a huge can!

• MotoGreg

Posted April 13, 2000 - 07:24 PM

I got the new Dirt Bike today and they have a test of the 400exc and the wr400. The wr is much faster they say, the stock wr tank being the only thing they didn't like. They say the wr (with stock wr cam timing) is still the fastest 400.

'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at

• JamesD

Posted April 13, 2000 - 08:44 PM

In Dirt Rider one of the riders commented that he was sure he was faster on the WR than any of the bikes, but that he had to be because of the suspension/engine. He also said that the bike would wear you out in a long race (3hrs).

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.