If "Hurricane" Hannah raced supermoto...

52 replies to this topic
  • Fastest1

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:32 PM

Nope. You simply cannot see the tiny amount of deflection that would set the front end of the rod 1/2" or better off of the front sprocket center. What you suggest is a good method, but it's very subjective. The rod is extraordinarily precise.

Actually you can see it quite well if it is off at all at either sprocket juncture. Check it with a straightedge if you want however the side loading if it was off ever so slightly wouldnt even be measurable. Btw the laser should have worked fine had the beam been used and not been concerned about the device that shoots it. Chains are used to allow variances. I get obsessed during my time in the garage too. Back to the powder coating question. What precautions were taken and did you have any problems or have any sand come out of your frame?:thumbsup:

• MikeDD

Posted September 06, 2007 - 09:37 PM

You must be talking about the steel framed YZ's? No external oil tank on the alluminum ones.

• BergArabia

Posted September 06, 2007 - 09:37 PM

Nice looking bike

• swatdoc

Posted September 07, 2007 - 12:48 AM

No problem on the powdercoating - as Mike said,there are no oil passages in the new frames.

The laser I tried would not work - when I placed it in the aluminum jig and rotated it on axis, the red dot did not stay in the same place up by the countershaft sprocket like it should. It actually made a circle of about 6-8" in diameter. No different than using a steel rod that was bent 3-4" - very difficult to be accurate

• Fastest1

Posted September 07, 2007 - 04:50 AM

No problem on the powdercoating - as Mike said,there are no oil passages in the new frames.

The laser I tried would not work - when I placed it in the aluminum jig and rotated it on axis, the red dot did not stay in the same place up by the countershaft sprocket like it should. It actually made a circle of about 6-8" in diameter. No different than using a steel rod that was bent 3-4" - very difficult to be accurate

I thought I understood the problem, I know the beam could have been used effectively. I didnt realize its pattern was spreading. It sounds more like a red light than a laser. Didnt you say your with S.W.A.T.? Those laser sights are plenty accurate, cant you borrow one?:thumbsup: I forgot about the lack of oil in the frame on the non antique yzf's. Much less concern there. Thanks and the bike does look great. Being in Hawai, are there any tracks for track days etc or do you have to get it out of yourself on the roads? Though there seemed to be plenty of twisties when I was there!

• grayracer513

Posted September 07, 2007 - 05:51 AM

I thought I understood the problem, I know the beam could have been used effectively. I didnt realize its pattern was spreading. It sounds more like a red light than a laser. Didnt you say your with S.W.A.T.? Those laser sights are plenty accurate, cant you borrow one?:thumbsup:

Even cheapie laser pointers project a dead straight beam, but the question with even a high quality gun sight laser is whether the beam is parallel to any of the exterior surfaces of its housing. Even the best ones have to be "sighted in".

If I understand what was happening correctly, the laser would have been centered at either the top or bottom of the circle it was swinging.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elanCo

Posted September 07, 2007 - 06:39 AM

bobs bike would definately have a chain on it

• swatdoc

Posted September 07, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Gray - you're correct - the laser is not perfectly on axis with the exterior of the pen, however, it would be in alignment at the very top or bottom of the circle as you say. I just wanted something perfect that I wouldn't have to tape in place and rotate to find the right spot. The steel rod was low tech but accurate and a no-brainer.

I am with the SWAT Team, but we use optic sights (Eotech) not lasers. Can you imagine you and your team mates making entry into a room with multiple bad guys and seeing several red dots moving all over the room, and not kowing which red dot was yours? Not good when life and death decisions need to be made in an instant. We are thinking about a pistol mounted laser for our shield guy, where he would be the only one with a laser, so there would be no confusion, and he could address a target without exposing his arm around the front of the shield to aim thru the clear "glass" area.

• grayracer513

Posted September 07, 2007 - 04:10 PM

The steel rod was low tech but accurate and a no-brainer.

I disagree. It may be simple, but sometimes simplicity is the real "hi-tech". The results speak for themselves.

Can you imagine you and your team mates making entry into a room with multiple bad guys and seeing several red dots moving all over the room, ...

Different scenario entirely, but the Illinois State Corrections dept. found that the need to actually pull a trigger dropped precipitously when they installed laser sights on the guard shotguns. Can you imagine being in a room full of other bad guys....and there's a red dot on YOUR chest? It'd change my behavior. :thumbsup:

• swatdoc

Posted September 13, 2007 - 10:11 PM

OK - a small update:

Got the new swingarm graphics on from Dirt Digits. Eventually, I'll powdercoat the swingarm black, but I was lazy and didn't feel like pulling it all apart again. Next year when it's time to repack the bearings probabaly.

Posted Image

Front fork guard graphics. As you can see I'm waiting on my banjo bolt/bleed screw (one piece design) to hook up my front brake line. I went to Pro Circuit when I was in California, and they just gave me one of their billet brake line clamps for free!

Posted Image

Painted my radiator louvers black with Fusion paint from Krylon (thanks for the tip Dauv), and then applied more graphics custom made for me by Dirt Digits

Posted Image

also got my yellow cV4 rad hoses installed. I'm gonna have to tap into the one on the left side to install the temp sensor for the Vaypor computer, but I wanna just get the bike up and runnin first, and need to check clearances to find the best spot for it.

Posted Image

Zip Ty still has my carb - might get shipped tomorrow. Getting the full mod with their new billet APlinkage and the R&D Powerbowl. Must be something good about the Powerbowls besides the adj leak jet - Ty is runnin them on all their race bikes I hear.

• DPW

Posted September 14, 2007 - 05:49 PM

work of art!

• greentyler

Posted September 14, 2007 - 06:00 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW!:thumbsup:
i LOOOOVE seeing updates of this bike!

i noticed that you have a maxima ready OIL filter... how do you like er'? or have you used it yet? has anybody else used one?

• swatdoc

Posted September 14, 2007 - 10:43 PM

thanks guys

tyler - it's OK - at the time I mostly got it for the nice billet cover, and I wanted a stainless filter also. Gray brought up a good point though - the billet cover's internal oil passages are not the same diameter as stock, and the cover would allow you to install the filter backwards, unlike the stocker. The filter itself seems fine, but if I was gonna do it again, I'd probably get the Scotts. Cover will be a moot point soon when I get the oil cooler setup - the oil pump will replace the filter cover.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.