First hare scramble next week.....advise???????

8 replies to this topic
  • WEDGE

Posted April 11, 2000 - 03:36 PM

I have been riding dirt for only one season (I am 36!) after many years on the road and next week I am entering my first hare scramble in the "nervous novice class"! If any of you have entered a hare scramble in new england and can give me any advise I would sure appreciate it. I would especially like advise on "ettiquette" on race day so I do not look like the raw rookie I am! THANX

------------------
99 WR400-FMF 909 topclamp,FMF MegaMax II full pipe, IMS seat/tank,Renthal bars,Acerbis rally pro guards

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 11, 2000 - 04:01 PM

Originally posted by WEDGE:
I have been riding dirt for only one season (I am 36!) after many years on the road and next week I am entering my first hare scramble in the "nervous novice class"! If any of you have entered a hare scramble in new england and can give me any advise I would sure appreciate it. I would especially like advise on "ettiquette" on race day so I do not look like the raw rookie I am! THANX

• Guest_Guest_*

• Guest_Guest_*

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ButtonFly

Posted April 11, 2000 - 04:16 PM

Don't try to win, try to finish. Tell the people at the signup table you are a newbie, and you need help, what do you do? Eat a good breakfast (oatmeal works well) and give it your best. Races are not won in the first hundred yards. Make sure your bike is ready the night before. Have a good time, and smile...

• tripm

Posted April 11, 2000 - 04:55 PM

Where's the race? What's the date?

Thanks,

Mark

• sbohanon

Posted April 12, 2000 - 02:20 AM

buttonfly is right, just try to finish.
eat good but don't forget the fluids. most HS are 2-hours long non-stop with your wr(gas tank is big enough to complete the race without stopping). buy a camelback if you don't already have one and drink all the water you can the day before. to save energy, DO NOT try to keep up with the fastest riders in your class, after one lap of that you will be exhausted. also, do whatever it takes not to fall, every time you have to pick the bike up and possibly restart it will drain your energy big time. lastly, make sure your bike will start. most east coast HS are dead engine starts with you standing in front of the bike. have the engine warmed up and the kickstarter lever and piston in the proper position for starting or you will look like a rookie at the starting line. good luck and let up know how you did. ps. my third HS of the year is sunday also.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 12, 2000 - 03:30 PM

I'm 40+ and have just ridin in my first competitive event. I had a buddy talk me into riding a GNCC. What was I thinking! I went from a California moto-x'r (20 years ago)to one ride in the woods and then racing a GNCC. I had a ball. It was brutal to say the least. I advise you do all of the cardio vacular training you can. Pick a pace that you think you can handle for 2 hours and have fun. I told myself I would have fun no matter what.

It was good that I had that attitude. Because it rained the day before and during the race. The track had to be shorted due to un-ridable areas. The humidity was high as well and the air temp. Everyone had their goggles off after the first mile and no one put them back on. I was doing well and then came the first real challenge a mud hole followed by an immediate 180 and then an uphill through the trees that was very steep. It took several attempts to get going up the hill and then about half way up I started falling...note I said started falling. By the time I got to the top of the hill I thought I was going to have heart failure. I decided thenm I would just take it easy. It took 53 minutes to complete my one and only lap. I figured that hill would get me the second time around so I pulled off.

I was pleasantly surprised to find one of my buddys in the pit and shortly after the third guy pulled in. Like I said it was probably the toughest hour I've spent on a bike, but we are going to try another race the 30th and I've been training harder than ever at the gym. This one will be a local race. So we're hoping the track will be a little easier and it's only an hour and a half.

Have an open mind, ride at your own pace, have FUN, carb up the day before and keep hydrated! You might buy some Revenge made by Champion Nutrition (energy and electrolite replacement supplement).

Bill in NC

• WEDGE

Posted April 13, 2000 - 12:33 AM

thanx for the advice guys. the race is on the 22nd of april. i'll let you know how i did(or didn't!)

------------------
99 WR400-FMF 909 topclamp,FMF MegaMax II full pipe, IMS seat/tank,Renthal bars,Acerbis rally pro guards

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.