Tell me about your gas

9 replies to this topic
  • ButtonFly

Posted April 06, 2000 - 10:57 AM

What kind of gas are you people running, and for what flavors (WR, WR/YZ)... There has been a lot of talk about race gas types of fuel, but are they actually needed for putzing around? Racing is not an issue... thanks.

• WFO_DON

Posted April 06, 2000 - 11:04 AM

I HAVE RUN ERC AND 76 RACE GAS AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS OUT OF EATHER ONE. THE ERC I CAN BUY FOR 3.50 A GALLON AND THE 76 IS 4.95.THE ERC AND 76 ARE BOTH 110 OCT AND LEADED.

• ButtonFly

Posted April 06, 2000 - 11:58 AM

I guess, is there some reason not to run pump gas? Is it hurting anything? What does the correct race gas give you in terms of protection or reliability, not performance...

• WFO_DON

Posted April 06, 2000 - 06:31 PM

PUMP GAS IS OK.THE ADV OF RACE GAS IS CONSISTENCY HOW EVER YOU CAN MIX RACE AND PUMP GAS TOGETHER AND END UP WITH A GOOD FUEL
MIX.I PREFER RACE GAS.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 06, 2000 - 08:25 PM

i ride 3000 to 6000 ft alt. i run only 92 pump gas. no pinging. runs fine. i think race fuel is fine also. i doubt the engine cares. race gas may make the rider feel better. if so and you have extra bucks that you dont know what to do with. buy race gas, if you can find any.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeff_in_AZ

Posted April 07, 2000 - 06:40 PM

Personally, I use 92 octane pump gas with lead substitute. The lead substitute is supposed to help with exhaust valve seat wear. I'm not sure if it really works, but figure it can't hurt. As far as race gas goes, I remember reading a while back in a magazine that they didn't recommend it even for the YZ400 because it didn't need it and had the potential to eat carbuerator seals.

• Muroc

Posted April 08, 2000 - 05:52 AM

Jeff which lead substitute are you using? Did it cause you to rejet at all?

Thanks,
Joe

• Jeff_in_AZ

Posted April 10, 2000 - 06:30 PM

The company that makes it is CD-2. I picked it up at the local Checker. As far as jetting, I've still got the stock settings. My only modifications are to remove the baffle, airbox lid and shorten the throttle stop. It's just a bit lean at idle, otherwise runs fine. I'd change the idle mixture, but it's warming up here to where there's very little popping anymore with the throttle closed and decelerating.

• MotoGreg

Posted April 11, 2000 - 03:59 PM

In the current issue of Sport Rider magazine (June '00) there is a race gas shootout. They compare seven different fuels including dyno testing. The test bike is a stock Suzuki TLR1000. Since it features 500cc cylinders and 11.7:1 compression ratio it should be fairly close to a wr400 combustion chamber condition. I just skimmed it at the newstand but it seems that octane count didn't matter with the stock compression ratio. What made a difference was what kind of additives the fuel had. Some fuels make less power than 92 pump gas at midrange and even accross the board, some make more power everywhere, and some make more in either the mid or top ends.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 13, 2000 - 03:50 PM

Any problems running aviation fuel in the WR400?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.