1st ride on '99WR

6 replies to this topic
  • Steve_Morgan

Posted April 11, 2000 - 11:22 AM

Finally got my 1st ride on my "new" '99 WR400, after selling my XR400 3 mo. ago. Any suggestions on the "cons" would be appreciated...
Pros: Awesome power, throttle response, precise handling, light weight.
Cons: I'm 130 lbs, the suspension beat me to death! Felt good on bigger jumps though. Rock hard seat, & too tall (I'm 5'9"). Throttle is too quick, is a more progessive one available? Dies easily in slow tight rocky trails. Hard to start after tipping over, hot start is just OK. Need greater fuel range for the CA deserts. Jetting not quite right, misses at light constant throttle (lean pilot?).
'99WR, stock timing & jets, no air restrictor or exhaust baffle, cut down throttle stop, 1-3K' altitude.

• offroadhaus

Posted April 11, 2000 - 11:37 AM

Steve,

Your suspension problems stem from your weighing 130 lbs! My wife outweighs you! Actually I'm just jealous. I weigh 210 and my YZ still beats me to death, regardless of how I set my dampening and preload.

I came from an XR also, and I must say I miss the cushy ride, but I sure love the power.
tim

------------------
Utah Moto Adventures
www.utahmoto.com

• mcarp

Posted April 11, 2000 - 02:18 PM

Wow, there are cons to owning a WR????

Seriously, you will probably want to get lighter springs due to your weight. This is a given. Not sure what brand of throttle would produce slower response. I am simply judicial with the gas, but my 210 lb butt needs some gas to pull me around.

A heavier flywheel weight and/or gearing change (13 front) will help the stalling.
Have not done these things yet, and have a slight problem stalling. It is probably combination me and simply riding too slow.

The WR is not a casual bike. You can't just tool around on it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JamesD

Posted April 11, 2000 - 02:23 PM

I'm 130 lbs, the suspension beat me to death! Felt good on bigger jumps though.

You may have to change some springs if you want a ride more like the XR. I believe your close to the minimum weight the rear spring is designed for. Not sure about the front. The suspension is normally stiff for agressive riders, but to someone as light as you it's probably rock hard on small stuff. At least make sure the preload on the rear shock isn't cranked up.

Rock hard seat, & too tall (I'm 5'9").

Aftermarket foam and seats are available. Too tall??? Uh... grow? :) You can make the rear sag more to lower the seat but it will reduce suspension travel.

Throttle is too quick, is a more progessive one available? Dies easily in slow tight rocky trails. Hard to start after tipping over, hot start is just OK.

It's not the throttle that is your problem. The motor just spins up that fast.
Add flywheel weights. For you I'd suggest the bigger ones since your physical size will make you more likely to tip over and it will be harder for you to start it if it dies.
Flywheel weights also make starting easier. When bikes like the XR or KDE have the weight of the flywheel reduced too much they get hard to start. Yamaha made it too light in an effort to appeal to 2 stroke fans that are used to quick revving.

Need greater fuel range for the CA deserts.

There are several options for aftermarket tanks. You can replace the main tank, add a tank in place of the left number plate or both.

Jetting not quite right, misses at light constant throttle (lean pilot?). '99WR, stock timing & jets, no air restrictor or exhaust baffle, cut down throttle stop, 1-3K' altitude.

Other things can cause that type of missing as well but at that altitude you are lean with stock jets.

• Andrew

Posted April 12, 2000 - 12:16 AM

hi there I own a 99 wr400 i'm one my 4th rear tyre. bikes surphension has just softened up nicely. I was going to get fork serviced to a different sring rate and valve stack but i'm pleased now with the bikes handling.......give it time guys the bike will se u right.....Has anyone heard about a starter kit for the wr's?

• Steve_Morgan

Posted April 12, 2000 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for all the resposes folks! Very useful information. This is a great message board, I'm passing it along to my two riding partners who are also turning in their XR4's for WR's.

• JamesD

Posted April 12, 2000 - 01:43 PM

FYI, that was supposed to be KLX not KDE and the heavier flywheel should keep it from spinning the rear tire as much and make it last longer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.