I think Im insane..or am I?

35 replies to this topic
  • JamesD

Posted April 06, 2000 - 04:09 PM

Color me obsessed. When I'm not riding or wrenching bikes, I'm reading about them. I used to read DirtBike and MotocrossAction every month as a teenager (where was the web then???? I missed out!)

My XR got thrashed all the time back then but looked like new when I sold it 3 or 4 years later!

I have purchased two bikes in 7 months. I just installed a PowerCommander computer and full exhaust on the VFR800 myself. I haven't even gotten the WR home yet and I'm offering tips to other owners (hey! I'm a gearhead!), I had to have a special hitch custom made for my car to hold the bike carrier for it (which is customized as well), and I'm already looking at aftermarket pipes, flywheel weights, etc.

NOW THAT IS INSANE!

• Dougie

Posted April 06, 2000 - 05:16 PM

How can you guys look in the mirror with your showroom looking 1 year old bikes.

Mine is one year old last month and I swear it aged in dog years. Put some scratches and dents on those things will you.

I remember shedding tears of joy when I put the first scratch on my WR. I was so proud. One tough little guy it was. It got right back up and said to me is that all you got punk.

So I said alright, you want some of this? And then over the past year proceeded to punish it like it was a red headed step child.

The whole time it just smiled and shook it's head and laughed at me.

It looks old and it likes it that way.

Of course I did treat it to some new plastic and graphics this year to show it my appreciation :)

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

• Mike

Posted April 06, 2000 - 06:29 PM

I too like the look of a little wear and tear. To new makes it look like thats all you guys do is drive around with it in the back of your trucks. The purpose is to ride and ride hard. Hell, mine bucked me off a cliff and I broke my arm. First broken bone ever in my life and I've been riding since the 4th grade. But my trustee WR picked me up and steered me up the cliff , pain and all and said I would be all right and I was. My bike likes the abuse.

Mike

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 07, 2000 - 02:37 PM

You dont understand, see I scratch the hell outta mine, bash it up, endo it a couple times and after about 3 months I have to buy all new plastic and graphics and seat cover just to keep that "new feeling". Thats where I feel my sickness comes into play.

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

• Steve_B

Posted April 07, 2000 - 06:07 PM

I just got my radiator back from Mylers and i was wondering,does anybody else play with their parts and accesories before you install them on the bike :)? Please tell me somebody else does this,or i may have to get some help :D.

------------------
98WR400,Yz timed,Scotts damper,clamp and Pro-tapers,IMS tank and seat,Terrycables,GYT-R decompression lever,Devol rad guards,twin-air filter,Sidewinder chain and sprockets,and more gear than i can count(and i just like to play ride)

• JamesD

Posted April 08, 2000 - 12:16 AM

Steve B wrote:

I just got my radiator back from Mylers and i was wondering,does anybody else play with their parts and accesories before you install them on the bike ? Please tell me somebody else does this,or i may have to get some help.

Uh... Steve... the rest of us are just obsessed with bikes, we're not crazy! Get some help!!! :)

• RodH

Posted April 08, 2000 - 02:55 AM

I think I couls also be obsessed, 7 months ago I bought an XR400, just sold my 99 model WR400 last week, and pick up my 2000 WR400 in about 2 weeks. So you see until the new bike turns up all I have been doing is reading the 3 new Aussie dirt bike mags that have just come out, and surfing the net looking for more stuff on WR's
Not blowing our trumpets, but Bryan and myself seem to have the 2 best WR400 web sites that I can find, and if anyone else knows of a better one please tell me !

------------------
R o d. H. Canberra, Australia400 Thumpers Australia
2000' WR400
E-Series "Randy Hawkins" replica & Tapered header, Renthals, WB fame guards, Devol Rad. guards,

• WR400_Jay

Posted April 08, 2000 - 06:16 AM

OK Guys... I definately know that I'm not alone and not that crazy after all. I ordered my bike back in Dec. and finally got it in at Competition Accesories on March 4 last month. I found myself trying put more hours at work so I could pass the time until it got here. I ordered tons of extras for the bike and was sitting on the floor, after the UPS guy dropped my "presents", unwrapping everything as fast as I could like a kid on Christmas day. :) I would look at the picture in the brochure from Yamaha imagining what places I could take her on the first ride. Ever see that Toys-R-Us commercial that shows the little kid swinging and running around the yard with his rain check from the "other" toy store. That's what I felt like. I could Take my deposit slip on the bike and jump over a couple of doubles or wheelie through some puddles. Waiting really sucks for somthing you really want. It's just as you get older the presents get bigger and more expensive! You Guys make it worth while! Glad to be with you in our "little world" as we know it! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kris_Stratton

Posted April 11, 2000 - 04:26 AM

Okay Guys, I feel much better now. i just got my 99YZ and can't stop sitting on it. The problem is that it is still very cold outside and I don't have a garage. Just a big shed. I couldn't bear to leave my bike outside, so here it sits in my living room. Ron, you are right about the conversation piece. Although the conversation usually ends up coming back around to something about me needing help. I am not married either. That is probably very obvious. It snowed here last weekend ( I live in Canada) so I was outside riding my sled not my bike. Although I have been caught sitting on my bike instead of the couch watching T.V. I think that I may be able to get the bike out this weekend though. Supposed to be warmer. Just in case any of you are wondering where my tools are, they too are in the living room. I think that I might be a little sick.

• Bryan

Posted April 11, 2000 - 05:00 AM

Yes Kris, you are a little sick. I think you should see a doctor about your condition.

But, find one that RIDES!

One of the guys that might be meeting us in Moab this weekend to ride is an ER doctor at one of the big local hospitals. That's convenient on these sort of trips. But, I suspect you need to find a DIFFERENT type of doctor for your condition.

When you find your dirt biking psychiatrist, let us all know. It sounds like we'll throw a lot of repeat business his/her way.

Bryan...

• offroadhaus

Posted April 11, 2000 - 08:03 AM

I once made the mistake of insulting my YZ...I learned my lesson very quickly. :)
Posted Image

[This message has been edited by offroadhaus (edited 04-11-2000).]

• Kris_Stratton

Posted April 11, 2000 - 08:58 AM

Offroadhaus, I think that when I get home I will talk very nicely to my bike. I hope that my bike does not remember the times I have cursed it for it's jetting problems. Which by the way are cured thanks to this very helpful site.
Bryan, I can only dream of riding my bike as I sit on it in my living room. It is less than 30F outside right now and snowing like crazy. Looks like the only riding I will get to do is on my snowmobile.
--------
99 YZ400

• Bryan

Posted April 11, 2000 - 09:26 PM

Tim Dude!

And you want me to ride with you this weekend in Moab?
You aren't going to get me killed are you? Where was this picture taken?

Bryan...

• offroadhaus

Posted April 11, 2000 - 11:04 AM

That little stunt was somewhere deep in the heart of the San Raphael Swell. I pulled up to a nice little edge and goosed it...only it didn't goose. My front tire edged on over the ledge, and momentum took care of the rest.
You should have seen my action roll though, I was right out of a stunt movie. Not even a scratch on me. I only took a dent in my pride. Can't say as much for the bike.
Bryan, I'm sure you'll witness a couple of these doosies this weekend...somebodies got to provide the humor.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 11, 2000 - 06:41 PM

See, if you really love your bike as much as I do, when you go over the bars like that you want to make sure to directly position yourself underneath the bike and try to "catch it" so it dosent have quite as hard an impact with the ground. In other words, you are cushioning the blow to the ground of the bike. I have tried this technique several times and even if I am hurt I always walk away happy.

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

• Harry_in_Oz

Posted April 12, 2000 - 04:30 AM

As I recall the WR catching up with the crutch is what broke my pelvis and yes guys we are equiped with an air bag of sorts. Kinda slow to inflate and even slower to deflate, the colour changes did make a great conversation starter.
Seriously though, as the senior member of this tribe (OK I'm not as old as I look)I can say with some authority that you really shouldn't worry--SANITY IS GREATLY OVER-RATED.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.