STUPID problem....(XR650L)

12 replies to this topic
  • squatpuke

Posted July 06, 2007 - 06:42 AM

Ok...first off...I suck at turning wrenches...and am "usually" phobic to work on my auto or XR650L.

But I got a wild hair and decided to attempt assembly on my new RSW triple clamp and Renthals.

As I was taking off the stuff on the handlebars...I stripped a screw and am now dead in the water...my bike (woefully) in pieces and unridable.

The screw in question, is one of the small black ones that holds the left clutch,blinker assemble.

Please, Please tell me how get that stinkin' screw outta there...

Appreciate it....

• gabriel

Posted July 06, 2007 - 07:31 AM

Ok...first off...I suck at turning wrenches...and am "usually" phobic to work on my auto or XR650L.

But I got a wild hair and decided to attempt assembly on my new RSW triple clamp and Renthals.

As I was taking off the stuff on the handlebars...I stripped a screw and am now dead in the water...my bike (woefully) in pieces and unridable.

The screw in question, is one of the small black ones that holds the left clutch,blinker assemble.

Appreciate it....

pal,

i feel your pain because I did the same exact thing when installing new handle bars. the reason this happens is because those screws have thread lock and i bet you stripped the "star" part of the screw. The only way you can take those out is by heating them up.

I ended up having to buy that whole piece from the honda dealer and I also replaced all the screws with hex ones from home depot.

• martinfan30

Posted July 06, 2007 - 09:30 AM

if you can, try to cut (with a dremel) a slot across the center of the screw head. this will make a slot to use a flathead screwdriver, or better yet a impact screwdriver. you can also try to heat the head of the screw with a soldering gun to try and melt the locktite.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 06, 2007 - 09:51 AM

Appreciate it....

I did the same thing on the clutch perch bracket.

:thumbsup: Not sure which you mean, the PERCH or the switch assembly, since you mention both pieces.

My guess is the switch ?

• GIANTac1

Posted July 06, 2007 - 11:44 AM

Buy a easy out.........works perfect!:thumbsup:

• brightman

Posted July 06, 2007 - 06:53 PM

drill the head off and then after it comes apart woory about the stud

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exaresix

Posted July 06, 2007 - 09:47 PM

After reading about them so many times, I finally bought an impact screwdriver. It is an inexpensive tool that I have used at least half a dozen times. Basicly you put the Phillips head bit in it and whack the back end with a hammer. It drives the bit into a stripped head and turns it out ever so slightly. Two or three whacks has worked every time for me.

• martinfan30

Posted July 06, 2007 - 10:25 PM

After reading about them so many times, I finally bought an impact screwdriver. It is an inexpensive tool that I have used at least half a dozen times. Basicly you put the Phillips head bit in it and whack the back end with a hammer. It drives the bit into a stripped head and turns it out ever so slightly. Two or three whacks has worked every time for me.

it could be the perfect tool!!

• AzMtnThumper

Posted July 06, 2007 - 11:12 PM

SP,
I've been an equipment tech for 17 yrs so I have a lot of tools (including easy outs :thumbsup: ). Let me know if you want me to take a shot at getting that screw out. I'll be in town all weekend.

• GIANTac1

Posted July 07, 2007 - 12:37 PM

SP,
I've been an equipment tech for 17 yrs so I have a lot of tools (including easy outs :busted: ). Let me know if you want me to take a shot at getting that screw out. I'll be in town all weekend.

Just get a easy out, the right size, and try it. Or get the impact driver and try that! Both have ALWAYS WORKED GREAT for me(AzMtnThumper:bonk: :thumbsup::cheers: ).........:thumbsup: Then you will have the tools next time you need them!

• Bibleman

Posted July 07, 2007 - 07:01 PM

I'm surprised that the easy outs are so popular. I got a Craftsman one and the only time I needed it the easy out broke too!:thumbsup:

• gabriel

Posted July 07, 2007 - 07:05 PM

let me tell you something, you can't drill those bolts/screws, they are made of very hard steel and will shatter your drill bit. If you are trying , i know it sounds corny, but use eye protection, as the shards from a shattered drill bit fly with some force! Don't shard yourself. :thumbsup:

• squatpuke

Posted July 08, 2007 - 01:34 PM

Ok...I got it.

The easy-out wasn't working for me and I was afraid I was going to break it off..

I used a larger drill bit...then found a screw driver that was the same size as the drilled hole and tapped that (the screwdriver)...then twisted out the screw. Came out relatively easy.

I was happy...

My stock triple is now off and the RSW one on...seems to be ok so far.

Now I'm fighting with cables, handlebars and grips....

Thanks for all your support.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.