YZ450F 06 boiling

28 replies to this topic
  • bigred97

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:32 AM

There is a quick fix. Zipty Racing sells a waterless coolant, yes that means it is a full synthetic that will not start boiling until 375 degrees. It aids in the cooling as well as keeping the boil over point down. They supply it to factory offroad suzuki, factory kawasaki, factory KTM, and other teams. This is the secret to keeping the bikes cool. Call up nathan woods, kurt casseli, barry hawk, ryan hughes and ask them what they run, they will tell you. It is called XF+. It is the answer.

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:57 AM

You can also buy it from the people who make it:

http://www.evanscool...alog/C_npg1.htm

• bigred97

Posted July 10, 2007 - 11:24 AM

It is nice to see that people cannot support the small guys in the motorcycle industry.

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2007 - 12:02 PM

Zip-Ty is small? Maybe. I support consumers, mostly, by making people aware of ways they might save money on stuff, if I have that info to offer. This helps me fill my role in demand side of the capitalist system by favoring lower prices for like products over higher ones.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted July 10, 2007 - 12:41 PM

Zip-Ty is small? Maybe. I support consumers, mostly, by making people aware of ways they might save money on stuff, if I have that info to offer. This helps me fill my role in demand side of the capitalist system by favoring lower prices for like products over higher ones.

here if you want to pay 47.00 insted of 33.00 here you go.....:thumbsup:

http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTMwNg==

• sagek

Posted July 10, 2007 - 12:56 PM

You should not be boiling over during a 25 min moto. I suggest you make sure your head gasket is ok and check your valve clearance; especially the exhaust side, as a majority of the heat generated during the combustion process leaves the engine through conduction from the exhaust valves to the head, when the valves are closed. When there is not enough clearance the valve will never seat fully and heat transfer will be forced to take place though convection rather than conduction. The convection process will not transfer as much heat away from the engine as the conduction process it was designed for (think trying to boil a pot of water while holding it an inch above the burner, i.e. convection, rather than directly in contact with the burner, i.e. conduction). The lack of heat transfer will cause the engine to run hot.

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2007 - 02:26 PM

check your valve clearance; especially the exhaust side, as a majority of the heat generated during the combustion process leaves the engine through conduction from the exhaust valves to the head, when the valves are closed. When there is not enough clearance the valve will never seat fully and heat transfer will be forced to take place though convection rather than conduction. The convection process will not transfer as much heat away from the engine as the conduction process it was designed for ...The lack of heat transfer will cause the engine to run hot.

I'm not sure where this little pearl came from, but it's missing a few parts.

It should read: "a majority of the heat absorbed by the exhaust valves is carried off through conduction from the exhaust valves to the head." The majority of the heat of combustion is in no way moved out of the engine by the exhaust valves.

About 33% leaves directly through the exhaust pipe, and another 33% is used to heat up the cooling system. A bit more is lost into the metal structure of the engine itself, with only about 25-30% being converted to mechanical energy, which was the whole idea in the first place. Of the heat removed by the cooling system, most is from the combustion chamber dome itself, followed by the cylinder walls in the top 20% of the stroke.

The valves do conduct heat to the head, but this is of more benefit to the valve than the combustion chamber at large, and is the primary way that valves are cooled. Intakes are additionally cooled by the incoming fuel charge, while conversely, the exhausts are heated by the exhaust stream while they're opened.

Besides, if the conduction of heat from valve to cylinder head were reduced or interrupted, it would hardly make the coolant hotter, would it?

• meyermetal

Posted July 10, 2007 - 02:35 PM

Don't know if this was already covered but a lean fuel condition can cause the engine to overheat. Fuel will actually cool the engine during the intake stroke.

Obviously you don’t want to have a rich condition either so don’t go to large on the main jet.

As a rule it is better to be a little rich than a little lean.

• bigred455

Posted July 10, 2007 - 03:51 PM

Is the big bore kit new,another word,did this just start happening after the big bore kit?.No offense,but big bore kits,well leave it at that.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.