Oil Drain Plug

7 replies to this topic
  • YZFRydn

Posted July 06, 2007 - 12:09 AM

On my '03 YZ450 I am having issues with my drain plug once again. About a year after I got the bike the seal busted and we replaced it with a heely coil (I don't know how you spell that since I can only say it haha) Anyways, about a week ago I started it up and yesterday I find oil all over the garage floor under my bike. Now, I am trying to decide what a better course is. Should I put in another coil, or, should I drill it out and put a new screw in? Basically Mcgyver status.

• NM_KDX200

Posted July 06, 2007 - 04:38 AM

a heely coil (I don't know how you spell that since I can only say it haha)

helicoil. Think "helicopter", "helical", "helix" (as in "DNA double helix"). Same root. Heli = expanded spiral.

Spelling lesson over. :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 06, 2007 - 04:48 AM

Helicoil will continue to give you issues there.....this is the fix for it

http://www.timesert.com/

• YZFRydn

Posted July 06, 2007 - 11:01 PM

helicoil. Think "helicopter", "helical", "helix" (as in "DNA double helix"). Same root. Heli = expanded spiral.

Spelling lesson over. :thumbsup:

Haha thank you. It was late when I posted that and I wasn't thinking.

As for the timesert thank you I will have to look into that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • King_Air

Posted July 07, 2007 - 09:02 AM

+1 for timeserts. Good product

• sleeperz28

Posted July 07, 2007 - 12:18 PM

timeserts are used in the auto industry alot. they hold better and the threads are also stronger. the only down side is you really have to drill the hole out big. should still work better than helicoil.

• FLjoyride

Posted July 07, 2007 - 04:26 PM

is the lip on the timeserts going to be enough to seal the drain bolt? I suppose you could always put some RTV silicone on the threads

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2007 - 05:33 PM

They're big enough, and they are also dead square, because of the spot facing element of the installer set. Using silicon sealer for that sort of thing is a good way to make an ugly mess, and cause a leak.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.