RV windows, want to add some to a cargo trailer, source?

12 replies to this topic
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 05, 2007 - 08:50 PM

OK, looking for a source to purchase RV windows from, I want to install 2 small RV windows on each side of my enclosed trailer. I'm after those small types you'd find near a bunk on an overhead camper or a trailer. I have 16" centers for metal studs, so I'm after one that is 16" long, about 6-8" high, rounded corners, window slides half open from left/right or right/left, has a bug screen. Not the flip up type, the slider type and smoked glass. I have looked with little success, anyone have a source?

• jackdrinker48015

Posted July 05, 2007 - 11:45 PM

camping world

• fl-cracker

Posted July 06, 2007 - 04:20 AM

I have a RV wrecking yard about 7 miles from home. You can wander around alone until you find something you like then they remove it for you. I bought a Haulmark with a 4' house single hung window it it. Not the way that I would have done it but it works OK. Yes it is a security problem; might do some expanded metal mesh over it, don't know yet.

• Red_Snapper

Posted July 06, 2007 - 09:57 AM

I added some sliders and vents to a cargo trailer years ago and got the parts from these guys: http://www.redneck-t....com/2006/H.htm

The 6-8" requirement is going to make it tough.

BTW, thanks for your help on my "high ground clearance cargo" post.

• gregghealy

Posted July 06, 2007 - 10:49 AM

http://www.motionwindows.com/

This place has a bunch.

• Gadgetman

Posted July 06, 2007 - 02:17 PM

Try this place, http://www.waltsrvparts.com/online/ it may be a little far for you,but they have great prices on surplus parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tkrrox

Posted July 07, 2007 - 02:58 PM

once you cut it out then you have to header it and put in a sill...sounds like a pain in the rear and very hard to make look factory...clean

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 07, 2007 - 05:02 PM

once you cut it out then you have to header it and put in a sill...sounds like a pain in the rear and very hard to make look factory...clean

No, they are made for wall thickness from 2" to about 8", as for the header, I have a MIG welder, will weld in angle iron, secure it like any RV with butyl tape behind it. Trust me, I can make it look factory installed. Now I just need a source. So far, some of the links have been closer than what I have found. Anyone else???

• Chickenhauler

Posted July 07, 2007 - 09:55 PM

These guys are suppliers to the RV manufacturer's and custom sleeper builders.

They can make anything your wallet desires.

http://www.interstat...ion-catalog.htm

• tkrrox

Posted July 08, 2007 - 07:51 PM

No, they are made for wall thickness from 2" to about 8", as for the header, I have a MIG welder, will weld in angle iron, secure it like any RV with butyl tape behind it. Trust me, I can make it look factory installed. Now I just need a source. So far, some of the links have been closer than what I have found. Anyone else???

aren't the studs wood? i know some are al., but i would love to see pics of that cause my wife wants a window added...and if anything like house framing you need to cut the stud further down/up than the hole for the window to install the header and sill...do you use a router or what...i'm really curious to see a retrofit detailed article w/ pics...

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 08, 2007 - 08:19 PM

aren't the studs wood? i know some are al., but i would love to see pics of that cause my wife wants a window added...and if anything like house framing you need to cut the stud further down/up than the hole for the window to install the header and sill...do you use a router or what...i'm really curious to see a retrofit detailed article w/ pics...

No, my studs are 16" OC and are a "Z" shaped. The opening for the window will be about 15 1/2" wide, height, I'm flexible, but dont want it big enough for anyone to be able to crawl through. I only want cross ventilation and to be able to look outside if I hear something etc. My trailer is a enclosed cargo type, no wooden studs. I have a roof vent with a fan, but on hot days with no shore power (to run the AC) I need cross ventilation or it gets too warm and muggy inside. I can leave the door open, its an RV type door, but has no screen. As for cutting the skin on the outside, I have a Roto-Zip and I can get the metal spiral saw bits, same goes for the wood inside. I will cut the opening, then add horizontal supports above and below the opening. I will weld them through the hole I just cut. Stuff it with a wet towel to catch and extinquish any sparks from setting the inside wooden walls on fire.

• DEA

Posted July 09, 2007 - 01:36 PM

I got a used one from a camper trailer sales.Haven't installed it yet though.

• altered

Posted July 12, 2007 - 08:52 AM

http://www.hehr-inte...ow Products.htm
These are the windows Haulmark used when I ordered my trailer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.