Top throttle cable frozen in carb

6 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted July 05, 2007 - 05:55 PM

I pulled my bike apart tonight hoping to get the carb out and get it cleaned before my ride next weekend. Pulled the seat, tank, header, subframe, carb mounts, hot start cable, throttle cable cover, lower cable. The upper cable is glued in there like it was welded in from the factory. This is an 06 450F with 8.5 hours on the meter! I thought about heating it with a propane torch, but that idea makes me a little nervous. Any suggestions for how to get the bugger out of there? I'll probably be needing a new cable too, as the nut is kind of jacked up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• nap__kxf

Posted July 05, 2007 - 07:39 PM

yeah this happened to my dads bike. what you have to do is pull it out, then clean it up and put some white lithium grease on it.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 06, 2007 - 04:55 AM

On my 06 I found you really have to loosen the adjustment a lot to get it out. If it is buggered up, go ahead and get a new cable and just cut it. You may consider sending it to ZipTy Racing once it is out for a complete cleaning and their mod. Well worth the 100.00 bucks...as everyone will attest....make sure you do not disconnect the TPS - just disconnect the fitting:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted July 06, 2007 - 08:07 AM

GA, I fully intend on sending the carb to ZT, but I have a ride planned next weekend at home (8 hours from here) and I don't want to not have a carb for my bike. When you say loosen the adjustment, what are you referring to? The top cable only has one nut on it that I can see, the bottom one is the one with the two-nut adjustment. If I'm missing something please let me know.
BTW, when you said getting this carb out is a pain you weren't joking one bit!!! :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 06, 2007 - 10:32 AM

GA, I fully intend on sending the carb to ZT, but I have a ride planned next weekend at home (8 hours from here) and I don't want to not have a carb for my bike. When you say loosen the adjustment, what are you referring to? The top cable only has one nut on it that I can see, the bottom one is the one with the two-nut adjustment. If I'm missing something please let me know.
BTW, when you said getting this carb out is a pain you weren't joking one bit!!! :thumbsup:

remove the cableends from the throttle tube - this should give enough cable free play to remove. Remove the 2 engine braces, remove hotstart nut, remove exhaust pipe and header, loosen both airboot allenheads front/rear. You should be able to lift the subframe /rear fender up to free the rear cab airboot to remove...be careful not the distort that airboot colar - easy to do. Getting the carb out of the hole once it is completely disconnected is a trial of patience.....remember do not disconnect TPS at the carb(only at the male/female connector)..I also recommend buying the alum hot start nut as the oem plastic one is a piece of cheeze crap that will strip easy/cross thread way to easy ruining your day. ZipTy has these also. No need for any lube on the airboots to reinstall.....that only makes a mess in the carb
Have fun.....:thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted July 06, 2007 - 11:40 AM

I have the cable pulled loose from the wheel at the carb end, but it doesn't seem to want to pull out, and I didn't want to pull to hard for fear of ruining the cable (which is probably a done deal already anyways). The return cable is the only thing holding the carb in right now- everything else is off. I'm about ready to cut the cable and order a new one just so I can get it out, but I really hate to do that.
Do you have a contact number for ZipTy? Their site is down right now and I'd like to find out if they could get the carb turned around in time since I have it apart already.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 06, 2007 - 02:07 PM

I have the cable pulled loose from the wheel at the carb end, but it doesn't seem to want to pull out, and I didn't want to pull to hard for fear of ruining the cable (which is probably a done deal already anyways). The return cable is the only thing holding the carb in right now- everything else is off. I'm about ready to cut the cable and order a new one just so I can get it out, but I really hate to do that.
Do you have a contact number for ZipTy? Their site is down right now and I'd like to find out if they could get the carb turned around in time since I have it apart already.

site is down - they may all be on vacation this week

Web Zip-ty Racing / ziptyracing.com
7247 Coyote Trail
Hesperia, CA 92345 US
phone: 1-760-244-7028
fax: 1-760-948-0132

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.