FlyWheel Weights

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 07, 2000 - 08:32 AM

I've been reading some posts on adding a flywheel weight on the WR and am a little confused. Some of you have added 6oz, 10oz, or 12oz weights. I'd rather not have to guess which weight is best. So which is it? I'd appreciate to hear all of your opinions on the different weights. And could you also add information where to purchase them.

• JamesD

Posted April 07, 2000 - 09:03 PM

Where do your ride? The tighter and more tecnical the trails the more a heavier flywheel helps. If it's a mix, of open trails and tight stuff, you want something lighter.
Personally, the only way to tell would be to ride equal bikes with different weights over the same trail.
6oz helps prevent stalls and gives better traction... 12oz probably turns the bike into a tractor. :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 07, 2000 - 09:40 PM

I ride a mix. Definitely do not want a tractor but the deceleration benefit floats my boat! Looking like a 6oz. weight is currently the way to go.

• JamesD

Posted April 07, 2000 - 02:37 PM

I was exagerating about the tractor bit. There seem to be some riders with more than 6oz here and it hasn't greatly affected accelleration. By tractor I mean it would take a lot to stall the motor!!!

I think 6-8oz is what *I* am looking at for my WR. The heavier weights may be aimed at the YZ since it's flywheel is lighter than the WR's is.

The April 2000 issue of Motocross Action has a guide to YZ-F engine parts. These companies make flywheel weights for the bike:
DNA - (303)278-2940 (Denver area???)
Steahly - (800)800-2363
Stroker - (760)948-2871
Terrycable - (760)244-9351

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ron_in_SoCal

Posted April 08, 2000 - 08:46 AM

I'm looking for more compression breaking and less wheel spin. Also, since rolling the cam the bike is stalling way too easily.

The 10 ounce Terrycable unit is looking good right now. Any suggestions on other manufacturers? Drill & Tap vs. Welded? Flywheel removal headaches?

• wilson

Posted April 08, 2000 - 08:52 PM

I have a Terry Cable 6 oz and 8 oz flywheel weight for sale, $30 each. I do not have any mounting hardware or mounting tools. A local motorcycle shop installed mine for me. The weights have mounting holes in them. Let me know if you are interested.

Paul in AZ
480-891-8442 weekdays or email pjwilson@netgenie.com

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted April 09, 2000 - 12:58 PM

Paul, If the 8 ouncer fits my 99 WR, count that one history.

• MotoGreg

Posted April 09, 2000 - 05:06 PM

As far as I know Terrycable only makes either a 10 or 12 for the wr. The kit they have that comes with three different sized weights is for the yz400 and they do not fit the wr. At least that's what Terrycable told me when I got mine.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.