can you help this novice?

8 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 05, 2000 - 12:34 PM

Hello people.

As a road rider of some years I thought I new everything about riding motorcycles.

How wrong I was.
I recently bought myself a new WR 400 and was amazed to find how different offroad riding is to riding on the road.

The bottom line is that I need some advice on stuff like:-.

How to jump properly,

How to corner on loose/slippery surfaces

etc.. etc...

so..... can you help this complete novice??

• Nathan_In_So_Cal

Posted April 05, 2000 - 12:49 PM

Get the book "Pro Motocross and Off-Road Motorcycle Riding Techniques " by Gary Semics and Donny Bales. A veritable plethora of riding information.

------------------
Nathan Apelbaum
99 WR400F
97 YZF1000
99 400EX
95 RA1100

• JamesD

Posted April 05, 2000 - 03:25 PM

That and learn like we did...

*crash* nope... that's not how.
*endo* I won't do that agian!
*wipeout* Son of a...

[This message has been edited by JamesD (edited 04-05-2000).]

• Dougie

Posted April 05, 2000 - 04:35 PM

I agree with JamesD. If I can give you any advice, it is to get the proper gear ASAP. You're going to need it.

I remember my first time on a dirtbike. It was in '92 and it was on my brother in law's old Yamaha 250 four stroke. All I had on in gear was an open face helmet I picked up that day at a Goodwill and steel toed boots. I pulled out on to a Rampart Range trail for the first time ever and preceeded to immediately dump it. I scraped up both arms and knees.

After that, I would add gear as I hurt things until I had a full setup a couple of years later. Now I never ride anywhere without my Fox Helmet, jersey, pants, chest protector, elbow guards, knee pads, kidney belt, boots and goggles.

Once you get the gear, then you can start on your technique which is only going to come from practice. Trial and error my friend. Books and tapes would be the best way to go for advice.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

[This message has been edited by Dougie (edited 04-05-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JamesD

Posted April 06, 2000 - 09:06 PM

I started dirt riding at age 6 so the wounds healed quickly. I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I've crashed!

The only gear I had was a helmet and goggles. Which I seldom wore btw. The only time I landed on my head I was lucky to be wearing the helmet. Now I won't be caught without one.

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted April 06, 2000 - 11:11 AM

Check on the YZ, side back about 45 days you should see a post by me asking about jumping doubles.

Scott F gave me a really nice once over on jumping.

What ever you do, start small, work up....it's comes with time on the bike. Two months ago I couldn't clear a 10foot table top, now I'm jumping some doubles and clearing 60 foot Table tops. You just have to keep at it.

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• mcarp

Posted April 09, 2000 - 07:51 AM

The biggest thing that messed me up when I was a new dirt rider was where I was looking. I stared at the approaching rock/rut/whatever and sure enough it would draw me in. Don't fix your eyes on the obstacle. Look at where you want to be 20-30 feet down the trail.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 09, 2000 - 12:11 PM

thank you people

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 09, 2000 - 12:11 PM

thank you people

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.