Front End washout on 07 WR450

11 replies to this topic
  • RAZ227

Posted July 05, 2007 - 03:49 PM

Hey Guys,

Just cuious if any of you have experienced your front end washing out. I ride desert ST and weigh about 190 and was having problems with my front end washing out from under me. I softend the forks to 3 clicks and it still washed out. I eventually adjusted an additional 2 clicks and it has taken care of the issue.

• kevinwr450f

Posted July 05, 2007 - 04:21 PM

What tire pressure? From the dealer it's way too much for sand. I ride mostly sugar sand and I run 10psi.. it seems to work for me.

• RAZ227

Posted July 05, 2007 - 04:40 PM

I run anywhere from 8.5 to 9.5 depending on the area. I've been a firm believer of low tire pressure out here in the desert.

• dl19

Posted July 05, 2007 - 10:07 PM

Change out the tire. I finally went to a Dunlop 756 after a year and it was amazingly better especially in the soft dirt. Can't speak for sand but it turns way better with out too much worry.

• WR_Dave

Posted July 06, 2007 - 05:44 AM

One thing to make sure you get set right before you go buying every different front tire on the market is to set the sag on the bike ( click on the icon beside sag for an explanation). With out that set correctly you will always have poor balance and turning characteristics. I agree however that the stock front tire is a POS and it should be changed ASAP. WR Dave.

• RAZ227

Posted July 07, 2007 - 06:49 AM

Thanks guys!,

I have been looking at replacing that front tire. I've been riding for years and I just have been lucky that evey bike I've owned has been great (suspension wise) right out the crate.

Thanks again for your input

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted July 07, 2007 - 10:57 PM

The front tire sucks in sand and mud, put a 756 on the front/

Have you set the sag? If not, you're not putting enough weight on the front which is contributing to your washout.

• mcflzwr450f

Posted July 08, 2007 - 02:05 PM

Set your sag and change your front tire, I'm 200lbs and had the same problem. After shocks set up my suspension and put a dunlop 756 on, no more washout problems...unless I'm lazy and forget to check tire pressure.:thumbsup:

• xrmarty

Posted July 08, 2007 - 10:20 PM

Change out the tire. I finally went to a Dunlop 756 after a year and it was amazingly better especially in the soft dirt. Can't speak for sand but it turns way better with out too much worry.

+1 over here for 756. I used to think it was all hipe about that tire, but when I put it on I was really amazed how it handled on intermediate and soft terrain. Also try increasing the preload on the rear shock by about 10 cm. That will change the geometry significantly. It really helped my turning and washing out.

• CORider63

Posted July 09, 2007 - 04:51 AM

Simply amazing! Once, again, ThumperTalk saves the day!

I took my 2007 out for the first long rides over the weekend and really disliked the front-end washout on sand and dry, dusty, dirt. I ride in a lot of rocks, so I can't afford to run the front pressure too low.

Thanks, everyone! A 756 is on order.

• XRYoda

Posted July 14, 2007 - 10:07 PM

Hey man, I went through the same thing, I chased the problem for a year. I have a 06' wr, though. I tried everything, different tire, (90 series, "wide" tire helps a lot). I weigh 192 lbs, and went with a bigger spring, helped front end traction and turning . Big difference. Make sure to check your sag afterwards. Lessening my rebound in the forks helped me, made the corner exit traction much better. Most of all, get the proper spring for your weight, and spend a few bucks getting your forks revalved.

• SurvivorMan

Posted July 15, 2007 - 06:11 PM

check your front wheel bearings. the bearings on the WR for some reason are open so sand and water gets in there and wrecks them really quick. mine only lasted 2 months. when the front bearings go it fells like you are on marbles, believe me, it makes a big difference. make sure to put in pivot works sealed bearings, they last much longer (or the like). check fork seals too, maybe time for a service.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.