more tha 10K miles, too late to switch to Synthetic?

13 replies to this topic
  • Dickie

Posted July 05, 2007 - 01:29 PM

I have heard that in cars you don't want to switch to synthetic oil if it has more than 50k or so. Is the same true for bikes? Is it always better to use synthetic?

• martinfan30

Posted July 05, 2007 - 01:30 PM

you should be fine. unless you have any leaks. they will just get worse!!

• Dickie

Posted July 05, 2007 - 01:53 PM

you should be fine. unless you have any leaks. they will just get worse!!

yeah, I don't have any leaks but I am burning some, so I guess I will stick with conven

• martinfan30

Posted July 05, 2007 - 01:59 PM

in my opinion, if you want to use synthetic, start using after maybe 2k miles.

• Dickie

Posted July 06, 2007 - 04:22 AM

in my opinion, if you want to use synthetic, start using after maybe 2k miles.

Yeah, that's probably right, I made the switch in my car at about 20k and it has been fine

• goblin127

Posted July 06, 2007 - 04:42 AM

I switched at about 4k mi and its been fine. I started on it because I didn't like the way it shifted and the synthetic helped that.

• Denn10

Posted July 06, 2007 - 08:14 AM

Change to it if you dont mind the extra $$$ with no leaks it wont hurt at all. My L has just gone over 10k and im gonna switch prolly next change I dont mind paying $6 extra for the 3 quarts oil at a oil change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gabriel

Posted July 06, 2007 - 10:15 AM

this is why people say that switching to synthetic will cause leaks:

Synthetic has better suspension properties than dinosaur juice. over time the gaskets in your engine will be covered with a fine layer of sludge, if your gasket is bad, this sludge will keep oil from coming through and leaking outside. When you put synthetic oil into a higher mileage dino oil engine, a couple things happen:

1. the sludge becomes suspended in the oil and is actually cleared as you change the oil over time, any sludge that is covering bad gasket material will start to leak.

2. Your piston rings will reseat once you start using synthetic and you will start to burn some oil at first.

• martinfan30

Posted July 06, 2007 - 10:19 AM

agree with #1, never heard #2.

• davidl9999

Posted July 06, 2007 - 10:27 AM

Yep, I'm very sure that using synthethic oil will stop any breaking-in of engine parts. It's primarily why synthetics are not recommended during the break-in period. If your gaskets are sound, switching to a synthetic oil at 20k is fine.

• martinfan30

Posted July 06, 2007 - 10:33 AM

correct!:thumbsup:

• Dickie

Posted July 06, 2007 - 11:00 AM

hell, I don't even know how many miles my XR has on it. It's a '92 and the add-on odo shows about 9k, so there is no telling. I guess I will stick with the conven oil, no leaks now and I would like it to stay that way.

One thing I would add is that with my car(a 2004 Subaru STi) switching to full synthetic actually reduced oil consumption, my guess is that synthetic has a higher tolerence for heat and friction and therefore doesn't burn off as easily. If you are familar with that car you may know that it will use oil by design. That being said, this is a motorcycle forum and comparing the XR/XL engine to a turbocharged high output boxer 4cyl engine probably has no place here just thought I would throw it out there.....but I do think it is worth it if the extra money isn't a big deal and the bike/car has fairly low miles.

• pwrpapa

Posted July 06, 2007 - 04:53 PM

Corvettes come from the factory with Synthetic oil.

• Dual_Dog

Posted July 07, 2007 - 06:25 AM

I have heard that in cars you don't want to switch to synthetic oil if it has more than 50k or so. Is the same true for bikes?

Sounds like an urban myth to me...

Is it always better to use synthetic?

Synth oil (non-EC) is a good choice for air-cooled motors. Been runnin' 15W-50 here in the desert southwest for years in my used '98 XRL with no issues. Does seem to shift more smoothly with full synth compared to dino oils, though I don't have any scientific proof...

Keep Ridin'
D_D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.