Newbie & wr450f

9 replies to this topic
  • tarmac_terrorist

Posted July 05, 2007 - 10:41 AM

Hello. Im thinking about buying an 08 wr450. It would be my first bike. I have a few questions.

How much per annum, should i expect to pay on maintanence?

Does the 08 model come 'tamed' i.e grey wire etc

Is this a reliable durable bike?

Im 6ft 4. Is it a big bike?

Thanks.

• PROWLER 58

Posted July 05, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Hello. Im thinking about buying an 08 wr450. It would be my first bike. I have a few questions.

Thanks.

Hope your not a real terrorist !It is a big ,tall bike,youll fit fine. I just bought an 07 WR450 5 weeks ago. I have found that there is no significant changes in the 08 model, therefore you can say big money by finding a 07. Ill bet you could save as much as 1500-1700 dollars just by getting the 07. You will have to do the same mods on either,when I got them all done the diffence in power was amasing.I love the bike ,now.You shold have your bike re-greased also,right away.I hope that I can now ride trouble free for awhile , minus oil/filter changes and light maint.I dont expect to pay much now cause Ill do the work myself. Everything you need to know is in your manuel and this forum. good luck.

• MaxPower

Posted July 05, 2007 - 05:17 PM

Thanks.

[COLOR="Green"]per annum?
I havent heard bike maintanace adressed like that before

Yes Yamaha 4 strokes are relable motors. The cost of your upkeep will depend on how much and how hard you ride

I have a 04. I love the new ones. I wouldnt hesitate to buy one based on the reliabiltiy of my 04.
You are going to have to pull off a bunch of crap to lite that bike up
Do a search
Good Luck![/COLOR]

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 05, 2007 - 07:44 PM

The bike is plenty tame. With the gray wire, pea shooter baffle, and throttle stop it place it responds like a 250f. Doing those three mods brings out its big bore tendancies a little :thumbsup:

• Mutu

Posted July 05, 2007 - 10:07 PM

On just my 450, I think in the 2 years I have had it, I have spent money maintenance wise on some grease, 3x 4L bottles engine oil, about 10 oil filters, brake fluid, 1 new chain & sprockets, WD40 lube & contact cleaner, 1 bottle air filter oil & 2 spare filters, fork oil, and 2 front / 4 rear tyres. I think that covers it.

Tyres cost the most, and if your bike is tame, you won't go through them that often.

I have definately spent 10x more on bling and other things.....

I will say the better you look after your bike, the longer things will last. I have stripped down my bike about 4 times so far, about to do it again. Then again, I like working on my bike as it gives me something to do on my days off work!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • treecop

Posted July 06, 2007 - 11:23 PM

Yearly I spend about $120 dollars on maintenance. I have not put on very many miles since moving two years ago, only about 500-750 per year. I change the oil and filter about every 5 hours, but I am not a racer, just a trail rider. I clean my filter when I do my oil. I now have 3000 miles on my bike and am thinking about replacing the original sprocket and chain. I do recommend the Bel Rey grease when you replace your tires. I haven't had any problems with my bike, except for leaky fork seals a year ago.

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted July 09, 2007 - 01:28 PM

Thanks guys. Sorry for the slow response, i have been at my ma's gardening. I've lots more questions to ask, but im still researching at the mo. The good news is, i managed to get £500 ($1000) knocked of the list price for cash.

An 07 wr450f will cost me £4900 ($9,871.)

thanks again.

• 2006wr450f

Posted July 12, 2007 - 01:30 PM

$9871.00 seems like a lot I only payed $4300.00 for an 06

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted July 13, 2007 - 04:49 AM

hi 2006. Im in the UK. Its nick named 'treasure island' by corporations as the prices are way off the norm. £4900 is a fair price tbh and best i could find. I could buy an o7 for £4500 from ebay, but id rather drop the extra £400 and not have to bother with any hassle.

cheers

• MONO KING

Posted July 13, 2007 - 05:08 AM

I had a 04 WR 450 was far from reliable. After 3 cracked pistons, smashed 4th gear, 3 fryed regulators and 3 sets of fork seals it just had 2 go. Bike was verry well maintained and sold with nearly 10000km on clock. Was never raced. Got a TE510 with 24:aussy: month warranty cant go wrong. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.