running in

3 replies to this topic
  • shawn_stobbs

Posted October 25, 2000 - 08:37 AM

HOW LONG DID YOU GUYS BRAKE IN YOUR BIKES FROM NEW ? .I HAVE BEEN TOLD FROM 1 HOUR TO 500 MILES ; WHICH IS CORRECT .THANKS IN ADVANCE .

• Boit

Posted October 25, 2000 - 11:12 AM

This is an area of varied opinion and many are NOT wrong. A little common sense goes a long way here. Obviously, you don't want to hop on a brand new machine and use wide open throttle right away. Personally, I used the technique advised by Kawasaki to break in the my KLX. It consists of an initial engine run time of only 15 minutes at very slow speeds, shut the engine off and allow to cool for an hour or better(depending on the ambient temperature at the time). Another run time of 30 minutes and then a cool down time. Go ride for about an hour at an easy pace and then change the oil and filter, check for loose fasteners and a quick eye balling of the machine. Now, you can start pushing the bike a little harder on a gradual inclining scale. I probably take it to the extreme but it gives me peace of mind and besides, I paid for the bike. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JAMIE_WILLIAMS

Posted October 25, 2000 - 03:53 PM

With my Wr400 I run it slow 1/4 throttle for 15 minutes and then shut it down to let it cool.Then run it for 1 hour at no more than 3/4 throttle. After that I gradually took it to full throttle for short periods of time. I then change the oil and oil filter every 150km for the next 3 changes because I found a lot of metal in the filter. I run mineral oil for the first 1000km so the engine could wear in and then I went to synthetic oil (mobile 1)

I am not saying this is the right way to run your bike in because I am no expert but one thing for sure is my 99 wr400 can still throw house bricks at my xr friend riding behind me eating my roost.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 25, 2000 - 08:48 PM

Thats a good point actually.. When I asked the dealer about running it in he quoted "2 tanks of juice mate and she'll be right" I kind of stood back and stared at him with my eyebrows raised wondering how many cones he had smoked!

I've never owned a 4 Stroke Before, only WR200 and 250.. I know the drill for running the 2 strokes in but was enlightned to see how others have run in their thumpers...

:)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.