Another Teraflex question

12 replies to this topic
  • chicagobikefan

Posted July 04, 2007 - 01:25 PM

I have to get new meats for my 650L; I'm going to get an MT-21 front and I think a Teraflex rear (the 150 size). I do about 50% on / 50% off road, usually gravel and dirt; not too much mud. Why do I want them? An immature answer: because they look cool. I don't mind losing the chain guard. For those of you who are actually riding the Teraflex or know someone who is, whaddaya think? Pics would be nice, too.

• pianoexcellence

Posted July 04, 2007 - 09:11 PM

I've got a buddy on a DRZ who rides them and he is happy. It seems to be lasting longer than my kenda, although I am pretty liberal with the throttle.

• exaresix

Posted July 05, 2007 - 05:17 AM

Teraflex, I agree, looks very impressive:

Posted Image

• hill5150

Posted July 05, 2007 - 10:00 AM

Teracrap?:thumbsup: Worst tire EVER hands down. I destroyed mine in one ride.............Get a Maxxis Desert IT or the HT.................

• martinfan30

Posted July 05, 2007 - 02:41 PM

MT-21 :thumbsup:

• chicagobikefan

Posted July 06, 2007 - 08:19 AM

The difference of opinion is amazing. It's like you guys got different tires. Any pics of one on an XR?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted July 06, 2007 - 09:31 AM

I agree with Hill5150 if you race or ride fast through the whoops and if you are talking about the [COLOR="Red"]Newer Teraflex made in China[/COLOR].

If you ride [COLOR="red"]dual sport [/COLOR]and just [COLOR="Orange"]trial ride [/COLOR]the [COLOR="Blue"]steel belted made in the USA [/COLOR]is one of the [COLOR="Red"]best tires [/COLOR]out there. Lasts for ever (up to 1,500 miles) and grips everything but, hard pack that has loose sand on top. You can run it down to 6psi and still jump 60' table tops without getting a pinch flat. It is way to heavy of a tire once you get up to any speed and need to do serious riding. On the street it is one of the top aggressive tire for the dirt.

So, depends on what tire you are asking about:

Made in Chine:thumbsdn:

Made in the USA :thumbsup: is great for riding other then racing or any fast riding through rough stuff or whoops. Great tire for the "L" riders out there.......what's an extra five pounds when the bike already weighs 356?

It might be hard to find the USA Teraflex as they stopped making it. I have heard there were more made once the China one (non steel belted, cheep rubber, lighter but, a piece of junk) started to get real bad feedback but, I don't use the teraflex anymore, so, I don't know if this is true. I have used the USA steel belted teraflex many time on the XR650R and as long as I was trial riding it was the best. I use the MT21 on my rear street wheel setup and the IRC M5B 140/80 on my dirt wheel setup.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 07, 2007 - 06:58 PM

I agree with Hill5150 if you race or ride fast through the whoops and if you are talking about the [COLOR="Red"]Newer Teraflex made in China[/COLOR].

If you ride [COLOR="red"]dual sport [/COLOR]and just [COLOR="Orange"]trial ride [/COLOR]the [COLOR="Blue"]steel belted made in the USA [/COLOR]is one of the [COLOR="Red"]best tires [/COLOR]out there. Lasts for ever (up to 1,500 miles) and grips everything but, hard pack that has loose sand on top. You can run it down to 6psi and still jump 60' table tops without getting a pinch flat. It is way to heavy of a tire once you get up to any speed and need to do serious riding. On the street it is one of the top aggressive tire for the dirt.

So, depends on what tire you are asking about:

Made in Chine:thumbsdn:

Made in the USA :thumbsup: is great for riding other then racing or any fast riding through rough stuff or whoops. Great tire for the "L" riders out there.......what's an extra five pounds when the bike already weighs 356?

It might be hard to find the USA Teraflex as they stopped making it. I have heard there were more made once the China one (non steel belted, cheep rubber, lighter but, a piece of junk) started to get real bad feedback but, I don't use the teraflex anymore, so, I don't know if this is true. I have used the USA steel belted teraflex many time on the XR650R and as long as I was trial riding it was the best. I use the MT21 on my rear street wheel setup and the IRC M5B 140/80 on my dirt wheel setup.

That pretty much nails it. A fellow near here has a chinese Tflex on his KTM and its wearing quick, far faster than either of my US made ones.

My description is, its the ultimate DOT-legal get-you-there get-you-back tire.

I have a 140-series MT21 rear now (MT18HD up front) and its no Tflex, but its nice to have the rear end know some manners...

Dave

• bork

Posted July 08, 2007 - 12:46 PM

I have a Tflex (china) I ride 85% dirt. Me and my other bud think its the best bang for the buck$. My .02 * I'll try & take some pics.

• desert4seat

Posted July 08, 2007 - 09:03 PM

I use the MT21 on my rear street wheel setup and the IRC M5B 140/80 on my dirt wheel setup.

Damn, I love the IRC M5B on my L! talk about hook up! nice deep luggs! the heavy bike puts the power to the ground, thats 4-sure!

• dezert thumper

Posted July 16, 2007 - 11:30 PM

I like the MT21 up front and a Maxxis desert on the rear.

• kellismechanic

Posted July 20, 2007 - 01:36 PM

Teracrap?:thumbsdn: Worst tire EVER hands down. I destroyed mine in one ride.............Get a Maxxis Desert IT or the HT.................

I agree, worst tire ever, :thumbsdn: chunks apart in no time and wears like butter, I put on the Maxxis IT Desert also and love it.

• XR680RR

Posted July 20, 2007 - 09:57 PM

Like it was said, there was a much better made in USA tire that would last forever but, the new china:foul: :bonk: :rant: :blah: piece of doooo chunks and is all show and no go. Junk:thumbsdn:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.