Oil Change for xr650l

14 replies to this topic
  • tggray01

Posted July 04, 2007 - 12:19 PM

Hey all, I have a couple of questions: how often should you change your oil on an xr650l if you do almost complete on road riding (occasional gravel roads). I don't drive it really hard, but ride in the city with the darn stop and go stuff...should I use synthetic oil? standard Honda ($6 a quart) or just regular oil? What weight also?

• frankiewhipit

Posted July 04, 2007 - 12:25 PM

I change mine once a month, I use Quakerstate 15w40 in the warmer months & 10w30 in the winter, It has about 10,000 miles on it & has never been apart :thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted July 04, 2007 - 12:34 PM

Quite a few TT members including me use Shell Rotella T.

Less then 9 bucks a gallon. Great oil at a bargin price . :thumbsup:

http://www.shell.com...intro_1006.html

Every 1-2000 miles would be a good interval with the lower being the really hot months.

No way I'd ever pay 6-8 bucks for a quart of oil :thumbsup:

• tggray01

Posted July 04, 2007 - 01:07 PM

I have actually been using the Shell Rotella T for my oil changes; I think it is about time for an oil change...

• Huffa 2

Posted July 04, 2007 - 01:22 PM

I have actually been using the Shell Rotella T for my oil changes; I think it is about time for an oil change...

Why, how many miles are on it since last change? :thumbsup: :busted: :thumbsup:

• tggray01

Posted July 04, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Oh, it is only like 1500 miles...probably less

• Butta

Posted July 04, 2007 - 04:11 PM

Oh, it is only like 1500 miles...probably less

I use Shell Rotella as well, but one thing you must know about this oil is that you must change it often due to it breaking down (coming "out of grade") after a short period of time. Transmissions put a lot of stress and strain on an oil, and the shear forces are great. I change it in my YZ450 every 5 hours, and plan on doing the same for my 650R...that equates to every 100-300 miles......

Like it has been said, it's cheap insurance....although after just changing my BRP for the first time, what a pain in the a$$!!!!! Honda needs to think about that for the next generation pig....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted July 05, 2007 - 02:06 PM

i use honda 20w-50 summer, honda 10w-40 winter. change oil/filter every 1k miles.

• goblin127

Posted July 05, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Mobil 1 or any synthetic (motorcycle oil) every 1500 mi.

• Motosprtman

Posted July 06, 2007 - 05:15 AM

I change it at about every 1K, and at the begining of every riding season, I use Castrol 20-50W.

• Denn10

Posted July 06, 2007 - 08:12 AM

Try using the search on the top right and youll find a million opinions, oil is asked about every week so theres alot of info, change it with what your wallet lets you and also how often you want, you really cant change it too much.

• tggray01

Posted July 08, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Actually, I just checked the oil, and it is Castrol 20-50W also

• thumper245

Posted July 08, 2007 - 10:52 PM

I change it at about every 1K, and at the begining of every riding season, I use Castrol 20-50W.

I have to agree with the Castrol 20-50w. I ride where it is realy hot. I might add that this is what the dealer along with others that i ride with sugested. I have used Castrol in my cars for years before using it in my bikes. I also sugest checking the label for friction reducing before using in your XRL. The XRL has a wet clutch. The friction reducing oils cause the clutch to slip. Like was mentioned earler as a referance in the search you will find a great deal on oil preferance along with facts. Skim through them and decide for your self. I change my oil along with the filter at around one to two thousand miles. I have found that Auto Zone, Kragen and wal-mart cary oil filters for the xr650l for around half the price of the local Honda dealer.

• tggray01

Posted July 09, 2007 - 11:24 AM

I purchased two Honda filters from a local dealer; they were like $5.99 a piece. Is that more expensive than the Autozone and walmart price? Are the filters from the other stores (other than honda dealers, etc.) Fram or something else? Can you use other than Honda filters in an XRL?

• martinfan30

Posted July 09, 2007 - 12:18 PM

nothing beats oem parts, well worth the extra $$$ for the quality!:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.