Smoking clutch...

6 replies to this topic
  • Duster2

Posted July 03, 2007 - 07:10 PM

I have a 07' YZ450 that I bought new in late Dec. I'm now on my 3rd clutch kit! Has anybody had problems with smoking thier clutch. This is not my 1st 4-stroke abd I don't ride it like a 2-stroke. I adjust the clutch lever by the book (about 8mm of play). Something is not right?? It's starting to get expensive$$$$. Any help would be great!

• 642MX

Posted July 03, 2007 - 07:25 PM

Which oil do you use?

• 02YZ426

Posted July 03, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Try the GYTR Yamaha clutch next time. They seem to be a bit better. I go through about 2 per season.. but I'm just hard on clutches. Trying to break the bad habits though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Duster2

Posted July 03, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Which oil do you use?

I was using Golden Spectro in the first clutch, then went bel rays synthetic and I'm using Maxima synthetic with the current clutch. The current clutch is a barnett, thought I would try something besides OEM, but its ready to go with only 3 races on it!

• 642MX

Posted July 03, 2007 - 08:06 PM

None of the above oils should cause any problems. I've seen a CRF that ate clutches like crazy. The clutch boss was warped for some reason. The guy replaced it with a Hinson and the problems went away. If I where you, I'd check the pressure plate and clutch boss to see if one of the two is warped or damaged.

• yz450vet

Posted July 04, 2007 - 02:40 AM

I just bought a used 2003 YZ450. It runs well but I am starting to hear a slight grinding noise when I let out the clutch in first gear. What are the early signs of clutch problems and what are the bad habits you refer to?

• warrior86

Posted July 04, 2007 - 07:58 AM

i dont know how bad it is but when doing a turn, ill come into it with the clutch pulled in in third and the dump it comin out. I might let it out a little slowly until i build my momentum just to ensure i dont stall, but i never slip it high in the revs just to build power.:thumbsup:

THen again, i really dont know how to ride a two stroke properly so hopefully i dont have any bad habits. I have 30 hours on my bike...no clutch trouble so far...no racin but hard practicing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.